Weak Spot

Sukuna should have seen it coming the second the damned woman told him she was with child. A night of passion and lust had resulted in a child of his own. One that he knew would be hellbent on destruction, just like him.

"I will raise you to be stronger even than me." Flames reflected in his red eyes as he glared over the crumbled city below. He rocked her in his arms to the cadence of screaming victims below. "You cannot be weak if you're going to inherit my legacy."

A little girl with pink and brown hair looked up at him, babbling and cooing with a radiant smile. A smile reflecting paternal affection, dependence, and unyielding trust.

These were emotions he'd always thought he'd easily dismiss when the child was born. But truth be told? She wrapped him around her finger a little more with every passing day.

"We will rule this world together, you and I." He promised.

The moment he felt such buzzing warmth for her, he should have killed her. Hell, he should have killed Asuka as soon as she'd said she was pregnant. Killed two birds with one stone.

But now, looking into his daughter's eyes, his resolve crumbled. Her dark, pleading eyes squeezed a part of his soul that should have been dead long ago. He grit his teeth, raising his hand again to slice off her head. She's just another obstacle in my reign of terror and misery! She has to go!

So what stopped him?

Those eyes. Those wide, loving eyes. Eyes that still stared at him with trust and adoration even as he held her life in the balance. A respect for her father that stood unshakeable even in the face of death.

"Are you going to kill me, Father?" Her lip quivered, though he'd long since taught her to be brave and keep her head high during her final moments.

Sukuna, for once, found himself speechless. With a roar, he threw his hands down before pacing across the balcony. Four sets of knuckles gripped the railing until they turned white, flattening metal with his great strength. This damn child. This. Damn. Child!

"I apologize, Father." Her soft voice floated over to him. "I never intended for my weakness to cause you dishonor."

"Silence." Sukuna's throat tightened in his fury.

The sound of crackling flames drowned out the silence between them as she listened obediently. Perhaps that's why I'm so remiss to end her life. She's strong. Strong and obedient. Sukuna's eyes met the gaze of a frantic woman clutching her child to her chest on the street as a curse cornered both of them. He flicked his wrist and the woman and her child dropped in a bloody mass without a second thought.

"I raised you to carry on my legacy," He growled, slamming his fist down against the damaged metal and turning to her. For once, his brows wrinkled with pain, something he hadn't felt in years. "Yet you stand before me, unwilling to follow the path of destruction I've set. Do you think I would just support your path of good fortune to others?!"

Her second set of hands always gave her away. While the bottom pair stayed by her side, she hid the top pair behind her back, fidgeting as her eyes glistened.

"No, sir." She whispered.

"Do you expect me to accept such weakness from my own flesh and blood?!"

"No, sir."

"Then what do you expect, Besu?!" He snapped, digging his nails into her cheeks as his frustration mounted.

"I don't know." She admitted.

Blood marred the sides of her face as he tried one more time to use his great strength to bring her a swift end. But he could only watch the blood drip from her chin before he pulled his hand back.

"Well, I don't know either!" He huffed, raking two hands through his hair as the other two rested on his hips. With a heavy sigh, he responded as softly as the Curse King had ever dared. "I know what I should do."

She didn't say anything, and neither of them needed to. Sukuna knew she was a brilliant child. She was his offspring, after all. So she knew he should kill her, as opposed to giving her a gentle ending. They both knew he lacked gentleness with everyone.

Everyone but her. Why her?! I killed Asuka as soon as Besu no longer needed her milk. So why? Why, why, why?!

"I love you."

Those words. Those damned words! Only she had ever uttered them. He'd never found a need for them from anyone else.

He whipped his hand around and bruised her cheek with the flat of his palm. She barely flinched and kept her back straight.

She knew not to say such things. She knew. Words had power. Those three little words already drove him to his knees as he rubbed a thumb over the growing welt, healing it in seconds.

"Love is weak." He hissed, looking directly into her eyes. "I've told you that time and time again, Besu. You know that love is weak and...and..." He paused, waiting for the anger to pummel relentlessly into her before he broke. "And...and dammit, I love you too!" He clutched her against his chest. "I love you and I hate it!"

For those few moments he could only hold her and wish she were a newborn again, reveling in the fallen world with him. He wished she were not this sweet and precious 7-year-old holding his heart in the palm of her hands as she told him she didn't want to be evil. He wished he did not feel this overwhelming urge to protect her until his dying breath. He wished he did not enjoy the relief that flooded him knowing she still breathed against his chest, trusting him with every inhale and exhale.

No. He wished he did not have a daughter at all. Because for the first time in history, Ryomen Sukuna had a weak spot.

And he knew it wouldn't take long for the world to notice.