Chapter 13

Amelia sat alone in the kitchen, her focus on her plate of blueberry pancakes and glass of orange juice. The room was filled with the soft morning light, casting a warm glow on her breakfast spread. Lost in thought, she was startled when David walked in, the sound of his footsteps breaking the silence.

He moved with ease, fixing himself a cup of coffee before settling down across from Amelia. His gaze was intense, scrutinizing her every move as he took a sip from his mug. Amelia could feel his eyes on her, but she couldn't bring herself to meet his gaze, the memory of their near encounter with Nathan weighing heavily on her mind.

Clearing his throat, David broke the silence. "So, how's Nathan doing?" he asked casually, his voice betraying a hint of suspicion.

The question caught Amelia off guard, and she choked on her food, her face flushing with guilt. David watched her closely, his eyes searching for any signs of deception as he offered her a glass of water.

"Th-Thanks," Amelia managed to stammer, avoiding eye contact as she took the glass from him. "I guess Nathan is good...I mean, why are you asking me? He's Ethan's friend after all."

David was about to press further when Ethan walked into the kitchen, interrupting their conversation. Amelia felt a wave of relief wash over her, grateful for the timely interruption. She quickly finished her breakfast, excusing herself from the table and leaving David and Ethan to catch up.

But even as she walked away, she could feel David's stern gaze following her, his unspoken questions hanging in the air. The tension was palpable, and Amelia knew that she couldn't avoid the truth for much longer. She needed to confront her feelings, to find a way to reconcile her actions and the secrets she was keeping before they tore her world apart.

As Ethan entered the kitchen, he immediately sensed a shift in the atmosphere, a subtle tension that lingered in the air. Amelia had already left the room, leaving him alone with David, who was seated at the table with his cup of coffee.

"What's going on here?" Ethan asked, his curiosity piqued as he looked from David to the empty chair where Amelia had been sitting.

David, ever the protective brother, quickly brushed off the tension with a casual wave of his hand. "Oh, nothing to worry about," he reassured Ethan, forcing a light-hearted tone. "Just teasing Amelia a bit, you know how I like to give her a hard time about how smitten she is with you."

David let out a relieved sigh, grateful that he had managed to diffuse the situation without causing any lasting damage. He chuckled softly, nudging Ethan playfully as he added, "Though I might have gone a bit overboard this time."

Ethan chuckled, shaking his head at his brother's antics. "You always know how to keep things interesting, don't you?" he said, giving David a knowing look.

David offered a tight-lipped smile, raising his hands in a gesture of surrender as he patted Ethan on the shoulder. "Just looking out for you, bro," he said, retreating from the kitchen with his coffee cup in hand.

Left alone with his thoughts, Ethan couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to the story than David had let on. He pondered the brief exchange, wondering if his brother had told him the whole truth. The lingering doubt gnawed at him, leaving him to question the dynamics between Amelia and David, and what secrets might be lurking beneath the surface.

Amelia rounded the corner, putting some distance between herself and the kitchen. A wave of relief washed over her as she found a secluded spot, hidden from view, allowing her to eavesdrop on David and Ethan's conversation.

From her vantage point, she could hear their voices, though their words were muffled. She strained to listen, her heart pounding in her chest as David skillfully masked the truth, downplaying the tension that had filled the room earlier. Amelia breathed a sigh of relief, grateful that David had kept her secret safe for now.

As she continued to listen, the sound of footsteps grew louder, signaling David's approach. Panicking at the thought of being discovered eavesdropping, Amelia quickly retreated, slipping away before David could find her.

Her heart still racing, Amelia made her way down the hall, the weight of her secret pressing on her as she wondered how much longer she could keep the truth hidden, and what would happen if Ethan ever discovered the depth of her betrayal.