12|| None of your beeswax

I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing beside me

Who could be texting me this hour?

I sighed and forced myself to sit up. Never mind it wasn't a text it was my Mum calling me. I hadn't heard from her in forever, well since two days ago when she left. But it sure as hell felt like forever. I reached over to my bedside table and answered.

"Hey babe, how are you feeling?" came the all too familiar voice of my mum through the phone.

"I'm alright. I miss you though." I replied, wiping my eyes - from sleep, I'm not crying.

"I miss you too, love. How's that ankle doing though?" ankle what ankl.. Oh, I pulled the rest of my covers back to see my ankle in a hot pink cast.

Lovely.

I think my mind is half asleep. That's why I'm so damn forgetful or maybe deep down I was hoping it was all a dream.

"Eh not gonna lie it hurt a lot yesterday but I don't remember anything after I fell asleep on the way back from hospital and it's alright now thanks to these awesome pain meds! How's your honeymoon?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"It's great, I'm having a blast, I'll send you some pics later. Me and Charles are at the pool right now!"

Oh please do. Of course I don't say that.

I'm happy for my Mum. Really I am.

"That's awesome Mum, wait what time is it there?" I wasn't even fully aware what time it was here to be honest.

"We're in the same time zone Millie, it's 8:30 am." My eyes widen at the realization, I have my first day at that private school today. Fuck. I cannot be late.

"Bye Mum I gotta go! I forgot I had school."

"Wait, you're not having a rest day? Millie you have a broken-" and the line cut off or maybe I hung up, who remembers?

I know, I feel guilty for hanging up on my own mother, but she has better things to do right now other than lecture me about taking a day off school. A day off school is just an excuse to wallow in your thoughts and self pity, and usually I'm all for that! But with this ankle I'd rather have a distraction and no way am I missing the first day at this school.

Just then someone knocked on my door.

"Come in" I scream because I couldn't seem to reach my stupid crutches and I'm too lazy to hop all the way across the room to my bedroom door.

The door opens and I'm met with Noah's goofy grin. His blonde hair is tousled and unstyled but somehow still looked alright, he's also wearing his school uniform.

"Fuck" I mutter under my breath as I remember something.

"Well good morning to you too," Noah chuckled as he stepped into my room.