vii | the sorting ceremony

The Great Hall

── •✧• ──

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐋 was the most enchanting thing Dakota Dursley has ever seen in her entire life. There were four long tables where the students sat. Lyra said that these were the house tables. She told her and Aliyah that the colours on their ties showed them which house they were in – red and gold for Gryffindor, yellow and black for Hufflepuff, blue and bronze for Ravenclaw, and green and silver for Slytherin.

That makes things easier, Dakota thought as they followed McGonagall down the walkway towards the stage, where there was a long table for the staff. Now I'll know what to look for when I get sorted into my house.

She wondered which one she'd end up in. How did the sorting work? Aliyah was worried it would be some sort of test and that she didn't know if she'd studied enough to pass it.

There were candles floating above them that lit up the room. The ceiling resembled the night sky outside. Dakota heard a girl with bushy hair say that the ceiling was enchanted.

"Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," McGonagall said when they reached the front of the hall, stopping right in front of the stage.

A man with long white hair and a matching white beard stood up. The first thing Lyra thought was how much she'd enjoy braiding hair that long.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce," Dumbledore began. "The first years, please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students."

"Strictly forbidden, eh? That sounds tempting." Dakota smirked. She glanced at Aliyah, who shook her head with a stern look.

"Kody, no," she whispered. The blonde sighed dramatically and pouted, mumbling that she wasn't any fun. Didn't rules exist to be broken?

"Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death," Dumbledore continued.

Aliyah turned to Dakota with a cocky grin. "Do you wanna go to the third floor corridor and die a most painful death?" she asked.

Dakota rolled her eyes and grumbled, "Shut up."

McGonagall picked up a roll of parchment. "When I call your name," she began, and Lyra, who was still holding Draco's hand, squeezed it a little tighter, "you will come forth, I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses."

"Oh, thank God it's not a test." Aliyah breathed out in relief.

"Aliyah Coleman."

The girl swallowed. She took a deep breath and walked up to the stage. She sat down on the stool, and Professor McGonagall placed the hat on top of her curly head.

"Hmm, yes, I see," the hat spoke. Aliyah let out a small gasp. "With a sharp mind like yours, I know just where you belong. . .RAVENCLAW!"

Cheers broke out from the Ravenclaw table. Aliyah beamed and went to join them. From the research she had done, Ravenclaw was the house for students with intelligence, intuition, and creativity – and the house that she was hoping she'd get sorted into.

"Hermione Granger."

The girl with the bushy hair stepped forward, whispering to herself to relax.

"Mental, that one," Ron whispered to Harry. "I'm telling you."

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat cried. The Gryffindor table erupted in cheers, and a relieved smile spread across Hermione's face as she went to join them.