xiv | quidditch

Quidditch Stadium

── •✧• ──

"𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓'𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐋𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍 𝐃𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄?" a Gryffindor boy asked with loathing in his voice as Hadley led Dakota through the stands at the first Quidditch game of the year.

"Dakota is Harry's cousin, you insufferable twat," Hadley spat. That instantly shut the boy up. He muttered an apology and sank down in shame. "Here we are," she said as they reached Hagrid, Hermione, and Ron. "Front row seats."

"Kody, you made it!" Hermione smiled at her. "I was starting to worry you weren't gonna show."

"I wanted to check on Lyra first," Dakota said. "She's been quiet ever since that Howler. Aliyah said that she's scared about going home for the holidays with December getting closer."

"Where are Lyra and Aliyah, anyway?" Ron asked as he scanned the crowd.

"They're in the library with Tonks."

The quidditch players flew out. The students in the stands cheered. Dakota screamed Harry's name as loud as she could.

"Hello, and welcome to Hogwarts' first quidditch game of the season!" Lee Jordan announced. He was a Gryffindor boy who Hadley said did the commentary for all the matches. "Today's game: Slytherin versus Gryffindor!"

"Gryffindor!" Neville cheered, clapping.

"Dursley." Ophelia elbowed Dakota, and she looked up at her. "Important question. Who are you rooting for?"

Dakota waved the red and gold flag that Hadley had given her. "Gryffindor, of course. My cousin is the Seeker."

Ophelia grinned. "That's the right answer."

"The players take their positions as Madam Hooch steps out onto the field to begin the game!" Lee commentated. "The bludgers are up, followed by the Golden Snitch. Remember, the Snitch is worth 150 points. The Seeker who catches the Snitch ends the game. . .The Quaffle is released, and the game begins!"

Dakota watched as the players zoomed every which way on their broomsticks. They were much better at flying than she was. It was safe to say that she struggled the most in Madam Hooch's class. Given how nervous she was being high up in the air, it didn't come as much of a surprise.

Dakota wasn't completely focused on the game. She was never a huge fan of sports, and if Harry weren't playing, she would've stayed with Lyra, Aliyah, and Tonks in the library. Her interest suddenly spiked, however, when Harry zoomed off after a speck of gold. He had spotted the Snitch.

Harry's broom all of a sudden started jerking, almost as if it was trying to throw him off.

"What's going on with Harry's broomstick?" Hagrid asked.

Hermione looked through her binoculars. She glanced up at Harry and then to the stand across from them. "It's Snape!" she whispered urgently. "He's jinxing the broom!"

"Are you sure?" Dakota frowned. "I don't think Snape would try to hurt Harry."

"Jinxing the broom?" Ron gasped. "What do we do?"

Hadley grinned mischievously. "Leave it to me."

"Oh, no, not you!" Ron watched worriedly as Hadley pushed herself through the crowd in their stand. Ophelia eyed the redheaded girl suspiciously before deciding to follow her.

Hadley dashed across the stadium and climbed the stairs to the professors' stand. Ducking down, she crept over to where Snape was sitting. She pulled her wand out of her robe and whispered, "Incendio." She smiled devilishly as Snape's robe caught fire.

Ophelia grabbed her sleeve and yanked her away. When they were back down on the ground and out of earshot, she shouted, "Are you insane?! Do you have any idea how much trouble you could've gotten in if anyone saw you?!"

"Duh." Hadley twirled her wand in her hand with a smirk before putting it away. "I've been wanting to do that ever since potions class first year."

"You're mental."

"You're a priss."

Dakota chewed her bottom lip nervously as she watched Harry dangle from his broom. He managed to swing his leg up, and she let out a breath of relief. He chased after the Snitch again. He zoomed down towards the ground and stood up on his broom, riding it like a surfboard. All of a sudden, he fell forward. Dakota gasped and grabbed onto Hermione's arm.

"Looks like he's gonna be sick," Hagrid said.

Harry was gagging, and his hands were clutching his stomach. He coughed something up.

"He's got the Snitch!" Lee screamed into the microphone. "Harry Potter receives 150 points for catching the Snitch!"

Madam Hooch blew her whistle. "Gryffindor wins!"

The crowd of Gryffindors and Gryffindor supporters screamed and cheered. Hermione threw her arms around Dakota in a celebratory hug, the two girls jumping up and down.

"Go, go, Gryffindor! Go, go, Gryffindor!"

"Yay, Gryffindor!" Dakota cheered, clapping for Harry as he held up the Snitch. "That's my cousin!"

── •✧• ──

After the match, Harry, Dakota, Hermione, and Ron walked with Hagrid back to the castle. Hermione told him about how she saw Snape jinxing Harry's broom.

"Nonsense." Hagrid shook his head. "Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?"

"Who knows? Why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" Harry countered.

Hagrid frowned at him. "Who told you about Fluffy?"

"Fluffy?" Ron scoffed.

"That thing has a name?" Hermione questioned.

"Is his name supposed to be some sort of irony? Cause he wasn't fluffy at all," Dakota said.

"Of course he's got a name. He's mine," Hagrid told them. "I bought him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the. . ." He trailed off.

"Yes?" Harry prompted.

"Don't be shy, finish the sentence," Dakota encouraged, smiling angelically.

"Shouldn't have said that," Hagrid mumbled. "No more questions," he told them sternly. "Don't ask any more questions. That's top secret, that is."

"But, Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape is trying to steal it," Harry said.

"Codswallop." Hagrid stopped walking so that he could face the four children. "Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher."

"Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one," Hermione insisted. "I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn't blinking."

"I still don't think he was trying to kill Harry!" Dakota cried, throwing her arms up.

"Just because you're one of the few students he likes does not make him a nice person, Dakota," Hermione stated, crossing her arms.

Hagrid sighed. "Now you listen to me, all four of you. You're meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Professor Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel."

"Nicholas Flamel?" Harry questioned as Hermione and Dakota exchanged a look, grinning at the clue that Hagrid had just given them.

The giant's eyes widened. "I shouldn't have said that," he muttered as he walked away. "I should not have said that."