xiii | wingardium leviosa

Charms Classroom

── •✧• ──

"𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐖𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐑𝐃'𝐒 𝐌𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐒𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐒 is levitation, or the ability to make objects fly," Professor Flitwick said during that day's Charms class. "Do you all have your feathers? Good. Now, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing, hm? The swish and flick." He demonstrated. "Everyone."

"The swish and flick," the class chorused, repeating the wand movement.

Dakota was feeling confident. She'd been studying extra hard outside of class time, and she was ready to prove all the pureblooded bigots in Slytherin wrong by being the first in their house to get it right.

"Good. And enunciate. Wingardium leviosa. Off you go, then."

Dakota picked up her wand. As she pictured herself making her feather levitate, she swished and flicked her wand. "Wingardium leviosa," she said.

In sync, the feathers of Dakota, Hermione, Lyra, and Aliyah all floated up, the Gryffindor girl's flying the highest into the air. Pansy's jaw dropped as she stared at Dakota in disbelief. The blonde smirked at her.

"Oh, well done!" Flitwick gasped in amazement. "See here, everyone. Miss Black, Miss Coleman, Miss Dursley, and Miss Granger have done it! Oh, splendid!"

There was an explosion. Dakota looked across the room and saw Seamus's face covered in ash. He had blown up his feather.

"I think we're going to need another feather over here, Professor," Harry said.

When the class ended, Aliyah ran up to Dakota. She hugged her tightly and exclaimed, "I know you could do it! You were brilliant, Kody!"

"I finally decided to pick up a book and learn something," Dakota said as they walked out of the classroom with Lyra. "It really does make all the difference."

"'It's levi-OSA not levio-SAR,'" Ron mocked Hermione as he walked with Harry and the other Gryffindor boys. Dakota frowned when they laughed. "She's a nightmare, honestly. No wonder she hasn't got any friends."

Hermione hugged her books tightly to her chest and hurried away, crying. Dakota sent Ron a glare before rushing after her. As hungry as she was for dinner, something told her that checking on Hermione was more important.

"Yeah, that's right!" Draco yelled after her. "Run to your little Mudblood buddy, you show off!"

"Alright, you know what?" Aliyah pulled her wand out of her pocket. Just as she was getting ready to jinx the boy, Lyra pulled her arm down, shaking her head. She whispered to her not to stoop to his level before pulling her towards the Great Hall for dinner.

── •✧• ──

Dakota found Hermione crying in a stall in the girl's bathroom. She knocked softly on the door. "Hermione, it's Dakota. Can you let me in?"

"Go away!" Hermione shouted, her voice breaking.

The blonde sighed and pulled out her wand. "Alohomora." The stall door unlocked. She pushed it open and stepped inside, closing it behind her.

Hermione was sitting on the floor with her legs hugged to her chest, her head resting on top of her knees. She looked up when the younger 1st year came in. She sniffed and wiped her face. "I hate boys," she mumbled.

"Yeah, they suck," Dakota agreed as she sat down next to her. She awkwardly patted Hermione's back. She'd never been good at comforting people. Maybe because she'd never received any comfort herself growing up. "Don't listen to Ronald. You're an amazing witch, Hermione."