Chapter 6: How Things Were

In the real world, you and Chiaki are in class sitting at each other's desks trying to pay attention as your teacher gave a history of the past, leaving you and her jealous of how the world was compared to how it is now.

"As you can see, the people of those times didn't have cities such as ours," the teacher said. "They did have settlements and towns that were developing into cities, but they were just starting up around that time."

"They probably thought they had all the resources in the world," you whispered to Chiaki.

Chiaki: "Yep. How simple things must have been."

The class soon ended, and everyone headed home.

"Hey, Chiaki?"

Chiaki: "Yes?"

"Do you want to walk around the city?" you asked. "I was thinking that since we spend so much time in Oasis."

Chiaki: "We should spend some time in the real world. I kinda get what you mean."

"I know an arcade. It's not like the console or VR games. It has these things called game cabinets where the controls and screens are built into it. Also, the technology is from a few decades ago, but it's still fun."

Chiaki: "Sounds awesome. Let's head there."

You and Chiaki walked around, and you had to keep her from bumping into things, all the way to the arcade, which is inside a repurposed warehouse.

She paused her game and looked around to see the games that are inside the arcade.

Chiaki: "Wow. This place is cool."

"Yeah, a lot of people come here to remember simpler times. Which include before the walls were put up."

Chiaki: "I bet. Let's play some of the games."

You and Chiaki first play a rail shooter called "Citadel of Darkness", where you have to shoot all the demons that appear on the screen and save as many people as you can.