Someone Finally Cares:

Yes I DID just fall flat on my face in front of everybody and yes, I AM super embarrassed about it. To the point I started crying. Everyone thought nothing less of me, nothing more of me. It was what they expected. A sensitive whiny girl is all they saw me as. 

Not absolutely everyone, of course, but a lot of people. 

And as I struggle to my feet I keep falling down again. My knees are so shaky because I'm upset, what with everybody laughing at me and all. I AM sensitive, thanks! Why shouldn't I be, with all the unfair shut I've been through? 

It's not fair. It's not fair. Not fair. Not fair not fair not fair not fair not fair not fair not fair! 

Everybody hates me! Because I'm whiny and easily upset! And nobody tried to help me! Nobody ever tries to help me! They just leave me to get worse and worse as the days go on. 

Someone stretches out their hand. To be more specific, it's a bony, gloved hand. One that belongs to one of the only decent people I know... And as I look up... 

Yep. It's her. It's Ibuki, the only person I know who SMILES at me and means it. Her smiles... When she looks at me like that... 

Eugh I feel warm and disgusting thinking about it, you know? (Please tell me it's normal to feel that way... I don't need another reason for people to call me a weird freak.)

"Alright, up we go, sweetie," she chuckles. I feel even warmer at the sound of her gentle, caring voice rather than her genuinely loudly, screamy one. 

I blink back the tears and sniff. "Thanks... Thanks, Ibuki."

She laughs. "Hey, hey, don't worry about it. It's nothing. Hiyoko was so wrong to push you over like that. Hey, look... Either I'm crazy- wouldn't be surprised if I am- of Mahiru is bringing her over to apologize."

I sigh and shake my head. "But she won't actually do it, you know."

Ibuki shrugs. "You NEVER know, honeybun."

Mahiru steps right in front of us, an arm behind Hiyoko's back and neck to keep her standing in place. 

"Now, Hiyoko, is there something you wanted to say to Mikan?" the redheaded photographer asks gently. 

Hiyoko narrows her eyes at me and turns her head. "It was an accident."

"That's a lie!" Kokichi Oma shouts from across the room. 

Hiyoko lets out a frustrated grunt. "I'm sorry, Mikan. It was habit. It was a bad habit. Now shut up and leave me alone, geez!"

Mahiru rolls her eyes and plasters on a smile. "That was good enough, I guess. Not what I wanted to hear, but good enough."

My lips quiver. "It's fine, Hiyoko..."

Ibuki shakes her head. "No, no, no! It's not fine at all, don't lie to yourself. This is as much as an apology as you'll get, I'm sure, but don't just accept it just like that."

I stare at her, dumbfounded. "Huh?"

Ibuki sighs. "Whatever. Come on, sweet pea. Let's see how those knees of yours are doing after so many interactions with the floor."

She takes my hand and drags me off before I can even respond. 

I love her.