Chapter 4: First mission

As he entered his room, he was stopped by an inkling. "Are you Coteu?" He asked. Coteu looked at the inkling wearing a postal uniform. "Yes, I am." Coteu answered, "Why?" He asked. The mailinkling brought out a letter and gave it to him. "From Pitz Inc.?" Coteu muttered as the mailinkling left. He opened the letter and read it, its contents worried him:

"Dear faithful patron. We at Pitz Incorporated thank you for your financial support for the past few years, unfortunately, due to circumstances, we will be discontinuing your discounts by the end of the month in every Pitz Resort, Hotel, and Condominium. We apologize and hope for your future endeavors."

What does that mean? Does it mean that he was about to get kicked out of the condo by the end of the month? The only reason he was able to stay was because his family was a large donor to Pitz Incorporated. He quickly went on SplatNet and decided to have a sleepless night to find a new place to live as he could barely support his other needs. While searching, he was thinking as to why they were removing his donor benefits, until one thing crossed his mind. "Off The Hook... Off The Hook did this... those two wanted this condominium SO BADLY that they could basically just use all of their wealth just to buy this place!" Coteu lashed out of frustration until composing himself once again. "No, that isn't true. Why would they buy this place anyways?" He asked himself, chuckling, that he was childish to blame them.

Just as he was about to finish browsing new condominiums in SplatNet, the mailinkling arrived. "I forgot to give you this." He said as he hands over the letter before leaving. Coteu's letter was from Off The Hook. "Speak of the devil." Coteu opened the letter and saw the following:

"This is just to tell you that our management will be taking over your condominium in the future. Hopefully you will have a new home. Anyways bye."

Coteu forced a laugh. "This smells more like Pearl's letter than the both of them." He said as he throws the letter at his garbage bin. As he lies down in his bed, he remembered that he had to help Marie with something back at the floating place, so he alarmed his alarm at 6am. "Don't fail me now, clock." He said as he falls to sleep.

The next day, he woke up just 5 minutes after his alarm clock beeped and prepared quickly before sprinting outside. "Hey.." Marina- I mean the tall person from before said as Coteu gets startled outside the InkResidence Station. "What?" Coteu asked. "I- I'm just here to tell you that OTH Entertainment-" "Is about to take over the condominium?" Coteu interrupted Marina, who was shocked. "How did you know?" She asked. "You guys gave me a letter. Or, maybe it was Pearl who gave me the letter." Coteu said before looking at his watch, "I have to go now." He added. Marina watched as the young inkling sprinted towards the station with a worried look on her face. "But Pearlie and I don't send letters." She said to herself.

"The next station, Inkopolis Square."

Coteu ran towards the sewage hole and transformed into a squid before touching it, which warped him towards the floating place.

"I'm here!" Coteu said as he wore his headgear and breathing quite heavily. "You're 10 minutes late, Agent 4." Marie replied as she was holding her green umbrella. "Sorry, you see-" He stopped as he heard something unusual. "Agent 4?" Coteu asked. "Yes, Agent 4." Marie answered, "is there something wrong about it?" She asked. "Who were the 3 previous agents?" Coteu asked. "Well, Callie is Agent 1, I'm Agent 2, and Agent 3 is classified." Marie answered. "Classified? What kind of name is that?" Coteu asked with a smirk on his face, much to Marie's frustration. "Har har, very funny." Marie said, "Just go start your duty." She added. Coteu was about to start, until he asked how to do his job. So, Marie explained the entire lore of Squidbeak Splatoon, the Octarians, and why he was here in the first place... after 1 hour...

"So the kettles are invisible, but if I paint them, I'll be able to see them?" Coteu asked. "Yes! What part of "paint the invisible kettles to see them" don't you understand?" She asked. Coteu then quickly went out on the mission. The first stage went fairly well, until he almost fell down while getting the zapfish. "Well, well, well, looks like someone's trying to make a splashy exit. We wouldn't want DJ Octavio to think you're auditioning for his backup dancers, now would we?" Marie said through the earpiece. "Sorry, it's just that... nevermind." Coteu said as he grabs the zapfish and went back to Marie.

"Am I done here? At least for today?" Coteu asked. "Leaving already, Agent 4? Well, I guess saving Inkopolis will have to wait until tomorrow. Don't worry, I'll just pencil in 'defeating Octavio' for my to-do list while you're off enjoying your coffee break." Marie answered with a smirk. "Come on, Marie. I actually have to do something important." Coteu said. "Describe important." Marie asked. "As in, if I don't go now and find a place to live, I'll be homeless by the end of the month important." Coteu answered. Marie was shocked, but didn't want to show it to Coteu. "I suppose apartment hunting is more pressing than saving Inkopolis from certain doom. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find the perfect cardboard box with a view in no time. Just be sure to check for any lurking Octarians under the welcome mat!" Marie said with a smirk. Coteu was visibly frustrated and annoyed by Marie's lack of understanding. "Why can't anyone else do it? Why can't Agent 3 do it? Or you? Or Callie?" Coteu asked. "Because Callie's missing, so is Agent 3." Marie answered instantly. "Actually nevermind, Agent 4. Maybe you leaving for the day is alright. Maybe while you're out searching for a new pad, Octavio will decide to take a break too." Marie said as she didn't look at Coteu. Coteu wanted to apologize, it looked like Marie forgot to mention that her cousin was missing, but his watch beeped, indicating he was about to be late on a meeting with his agent for his new apartment. "I- I'm sorry, Marie, but I have to go." Coteu said as he goes inside the sewage hole and warps back to the square.