CHAPTER 2

Richard’s POV

The slap stings my cheeks, sending a wave of adrenaline down my spine.
Her eyes are bright with unshed tears. Tears that she is struggling to keep away which makes me wonder what she stands to gain from this.

“You…”, she grits her teeth, struggling to let it all out. “You have no idea what you are doing, Richard. Go beg her!”
She turns back to move out but my voice stops her.

“No, mother. I won't.”

The determination in my voice is strong. I am done doing what pleases her. It's time I do what pleases me.

Eve is the woman I love, not Arabel. I married Arabel because my mother insisted that I marry her. Arabel is a lovely woman, quiet and submissive. For three years since we got married, I have tried to love her.

But Eve occupies the larger part of my life. I don't want to be tagged an unfaithful husband just like how my father has been tagged. This is why I am letting her go.

Divorce is the best solution.

“You won't?” Her scream booms into my ears, jerking back to reality. A snort follows before she points a warning finger at me. “Richard, go beg that girl or you will have yourself to blame!”

“Why?!” My frustration bubbles over. “Why?”

I would say my curiosity is at its peak. I want to know why. Why does it have to be Arabel? Why do I have to do something against my wish? Why can't it be someone else?

A tear slips down her eyes, making something stir in me despite my determination not to be moved anymore by whatever she says or does.
The silence that falls between us is heavy with tension.

Finally, she looks up, the tears gone. Pointing towards the exit, she states firmly. “You can't divorce her. That girl is the reason for your existence. Your survival. She is the reason why you are still here, hale and hearty. So if you know what is good for you, find her!”
Despite the desire to say another loud NO, her words get to me, increasing my curiosity tenfold.

Without another word, she moves out leaving me standing in confusion.

I love Eve.

Arabel and I had an agreement. We would be married till Eve was back. Eve left because I got married to Arabel instead of her. I tried to explain the real reason for my actions but she didn't listen.

A year after we got married, she finally gave me the chance to explain myself. Out of anger, she applied for her doctorate degree in the UK and was gone for three years.

Now she is back and I won't lose her for the second time.

Suddenly, the memory of how she descends her mouth on mine comes rushing. That single kiss made me realize just how much I still loved her after all these years.

It made me realize she is the one I want to be with and not the woman I think I am gradually falling in love with.
It made me realize what I feel for Arabel isn't love. It's devotion. Lust. Pity.
And I reached a decision.

A divorce was the way out. The way to a new life. That was the only way I wouldn't hurt Arabel. Being with Eve while still married to Arabel would hurt her and my mother.

I love Eve and that is final.

Excitement rushes down my spine.
The deed is done. Arabel already has the divorce papers and I am sure she would have signed them already.

Without hesitation, I move out. Mother is gone already. I rush towards the garage ignoring my secretary’s greeting.
Eve’s place is just five minutes away from here. I got her that apartment five years ago just because I wanted her close to my office.

Now that she is back, I insist on having her close by too. Once we are married, she can sell it off.

As soon as I get to the garage, I signal to the driver not to get in. I open the car door myself and get in.

I won't let anything stop me now. Not my mother. Not some feeling of undeserved pity for Arabel. I can't break my promise to Eve for the second time.

I should tell her the good news. The good news about my divorce. That way, we can begin plans for our wedding.
If Mother doesn't support me now, Eve and I will get married in secret till she is over it.

Taking note of the time, I decide to spend just 30 minutes with Eve before coming back to the office. I have an appointment by 3 pm today and it's already 2 pm. I also need to visit my Hotel division before my next appointment.

When the car comes to a halt, I step down quickly and with hastened steps, I stride to the door and knock.

I wait for five seconds but there is no response. There is no sign of someone coming towards the door to answer it too.

I knock again, wishing I had come with my keys.

Still, there is no response.

Isn't she home? I ask inwardly as I fish my phone out to give her a call.

It rings loudly and I realize the phone is ringing from inside. Instinctively, I touch the doorknob to confirm if it's locked or not when it turns open and I smile.

I open the door to enter. The living room is empty but her phone is on the center table in the living room.

My eyes roam the entire place but no one is in sight. Thinking she must be in the bedroom having a nap, I find myself walking towards her bedroom.

Just before I can get close to the door, a sound stops me.

Not sound. This is definitely a moan.
Is she watching a porn movie? Where is that sound coming from?

I want to knock so she can stop the movie before I enter but something stops me again.

The moan is louder. And the voice is familiar.

The sound is coming from her.
Fear consumes me and a knot forms in my throat.

“Yes, Jake!” She moans out again and my confusion melts slowly into realization. Blood roars in my ears and my pulse pounds.

“Jake!” She screams out again, jerking me away from the reverie as I step forward with rage bubbling inside of me, pull the door open and enter to see a naked Eve in the arms of another man.

The sound of the door startles them both and she sees me. The man’s back is to me but I am not curious to see his face.

The look on Eve’s face isn't that of guilt but she steps away from him quickly, grabbing a shirt to cover herself.

I am about to turn away in disappointment when the man moves back and I see his face.

Jake Davenport.

My friend.