CHAPTER 21 - THE SAFE PLACE

***

"Your life is in danger." The voice echoed.

Ferran is in the dark place again where no one has seen around. It was as if he had trouble breathing and the surroundings were shrinking.

"You are not careful. Think before you act."

He almost lost his breath.

"It's not yet your time. Be still."

***

He woke up in a dark room made of bamboo and the surroundings were a bit dark but he could see a dim light from the opening of the adjacent bamboo.

He heard voices in the distance but did not know where it was. From lying down on the bed made of bamboo, he tried to get up but the pain from his side made him fall on the bed.

He noticed someone slightly opened the door and looked at him. It alerted him, and felt anxious that his life might be in danger again. He has not fully recovered from the incident that happened to him, so he doesn't know if he could protect himself in that state.

He sighed in relief when he saw that It was just a little girl with a blindfold on her left eye. When she saw Ferran looking at her, she immediately closed the door, and her footsteps can be heard away from where he is. Soon, a man entered his room carrying a gas lamp.

"You are finally awake." The man said and hung the lamp on the wall.

"Where am I?" Ferran asked while feeling weak but still not letting his guards down.

"You don't have to know but don't worry. You're in a safe place." The man said. He looked like a good person based on his looks, but looks could always deceive everyone.

Ferran glanced at the door where the girl peeked, it could be his escape if something went wrong.

"I need to go home." He tried to get up again but he felt severe pain again.

"You should stay at least two to three days to rest. You just gain consciousness." The man suggested. "Wait here. I'll bring you something to eat."

The man was about to leave the room when Ferran asked, "Who are you?"

"I'm Henry." The man named Henry briefly answered then left.

When Henry returns, he has a bowl of soup in his hand and water in a bamboo cup. "Eat. For sure, you are very hungry. You are unconscious for almost two weeks."

The shock was so visible in Ferran's eyes.

"Two weeks? That long?" He was so astounded because of it. The incident felt like it only happened yesterday.

"You lost a lot of blood when I saw you in the abandoned house at the foot of the mountain. At first, I thought you're dead but when I checked your pulse, it was still beating so I brought you here." Henry said while helping him to lean on the wall to sit on the bed. He handed him the bowl of soup then Ferran started eating.

"I didn't bring you to the hospital since it's too far and there is no signal to contact them."

"Thank you for your kindness. I owe you a lot."

"It's nothing to what you've done to us."

Ferran confusedly looked at Henry. "What---What are you talking about?"

Henry called the girl who had been watching them and she walked toward Henry. She sat on his lap and did not take her eyes off Ferran.

"Who is she?"

"My daughter."

"Why is her left eye covered?"

"She got into a tragedy but thankfully someone saved her even if she lost her left eye. At least she's still alive. Thanks to you."

"What? Why me?"

"Maybe you didn't remember," Henry looked at his daughter and smiled. "But we will never forget the kindness you've done to us two years ago." Henry said then stood up when Ferran finished his food.

"Thank you." Henry just nodded then left him alone in the dark.

Morning came and Ferran decided to come out of the room. He can't walk properly because he still feels the pain in his side every time he moves. He saw various medicinal plants that were rarely seen outside the room. It also had a strong odor that filled the air.

When he came out of the house made of bamboo, he could see the vast land of San Lorenzo from where he stands. The house is located half-way to the mountain.

"You can already walk. I see." An old man caught his attention. "You may now leave and don't come back again." Said the old man carrying firewood from the forest. The old man seemed to have a grudge against him based on his attitude.

"Grandpa! Don't shend him away." Ferran looked at the little girl who appeared somewhere. He remembered Cally with the girl.

"Pa, what's going on here?" Henry asked who arrived from the woods.

"Grandpa shending him away." The little girl said while pointing her little index finger at Ferran.

"I hate seeing that kind of face." The old man said then go to the back of the house.

"Please forgive my father. He just doesn't want to see policemen or any authorities. He hates them so much."

"Why?" A silly thought popped in his head. What if these people were fugitives?

'Nah. Doesn't look like it. But what if...'

"It's a long story," Henry answered. "I think you should rest to recover your strength. Hailey, assist the police officer in his room."

"Yes sir!" The little girl named Hailey saluted before she helped Ferran. She was smiling while helping him.

When they got into the room, Ferran sat on the bamboo bed while the little girl was standing one meter away from him. She was intently looking at him as if she didn't want to lose sight of him.

"Come here. Sit." He called the little girl while tapping the bamboo bed beside him. The girl was obedient and sat on his side then looked at him again.

"Your father told me that I saved you before? Can you tell me when and in what way?" He asked in a soft tone so the kid wouldn't be frightened.

"Lanshlide... Trapped... Us... You protect me." She pointed herself then her left eye. "This, I got there. I almosht died... You came... Rescue me."

Ferran couldn't help but hug the little girl using his right arm. He felt sorry for her but admiration prevailed because of the child's resilience even though she went through a difficult part of her life.

The girl heard her father's call so Ferran let go of her. Hailey stopped at the door and looked at him then smiled before she left him.

"I thought you only knew how to brag," Spirit of Alfarez talking to Ferran's body. "But over the years, you have done things that others don't even know. But there are people who are grateful 'coz you're there to save and protect them. I hate to say this. I really hate it but hey," he tapped his right shoulder with his left hand.

"I'm proud of you."