11. Lochan (Part 1)

Earlier that day

"Nishu, sometimes I swear I forget you're even a girl," Shravan sighed, his exasperation clear in the way he shook his head. "Pranav is the nephew of-"

"I couldn't care less!" Nishita snapped, her annoyance palpable as she wrenched her hand from his grip. "Even if he were the reincarnation of Lord Vishnu, I'd still be pissed if he showed no respect for women!"

It had been the third instance in the month that Nishita had found herself tangled in the web of a random MLA's nephew's mischief. There had been a limit to her patience, and it had been reached when the guy and his friend had come to harass their friend Asmita Bordoloi, the northeast beauty of the city who seemed to attract more than her fair share of stalkers. Apoorva Mhatre, one of their friends, had intervened, and that had only added fuel to the fire.

"And to top it off, those fuckers dared to try and hit us?" Devika snarled, her irritation matching Nishita's.

Devika Mishra, the only female companion in their group always matched Nishita's fierceness and refused to tolerate any bullshit from anyone. They had been lifelong pals, almost like sisters due to their similar natures. If it weren't for their different looks, they could've passed for twins!

"Because you were arguing with them," Shravan explained, trying to put sense into his feisty juniors. "You both need to understand that engaging in a debate right there in the middle of the road only fuels unnecessary drama."

"Let the drama play out if it brings their wrongdoing to light!" Vijay chimed in. "And if it weren't for Nishu, I'd have been all over that fucker for messing with Viki."

Vijay Jha-the only classmate from college who stuck by them, supporting them as a best friend during every distress.

Shravan facepalmed and let out a sigh. "You know what?" he gestured forward, pushing Vijay to the front. "Go ahead, give him a good wallop... and then end up in jail. Because that's exactly what we need, ruining our lives over those petty guys, right?"

"They weren't just messing up their own lives, but also the lives of others," Apoorva commented. "Viki and Nishu were trying to stand up for us and teach them a lesson. But those jerks aren't exactly big fans of enlightenment anyway."

Asmita wrinkled her nose, trying to steer the conversation away from the unpleasant incident. "Guys, let's shift gears and focus on something else. I'm starving; how about we go grab some breakfast?"

Devika's stomach rumbled loudly in response, sparking laughter from everyone present.

Except for Nishita, who remained visibly upset about Pranav's failure to apologize to her friends. "That dickhead will get what's coming to him," she muttered under her breath, her frustration still simmering.

--

"Hey, did you all hear? Someone's coming today to meet our Nishu... for marriage thingy, you know?" Devika teased, shooting Nishita a playful glance.

Asmita clapped her hands in excitement. "Oh, how exciting! I completely forgot about that! Can we see a picture of the lucky guy?"

Nishita grimaced. "I don't have one."

"What?" Vijay chuckled. "Are we stuck in the '60s or something? You're about to marry a stranger without even laying eyes on him?"

"There's nothing fixed, he's just visiting... to meet and chat with me," Nishita explained. "Maa had the photo, but I deliberately didn't look at it."

"Why not?"

"In case Mr. Mystery Man turned out to be a hunk, my imagination would've run wild," she clarified. "But that's not what I'm after. I want to meet him and have a real conversation. I'm not interested in a handsome face with a garbage personality, thank you very much."

Devika pouted, showing her puppy eyes to Nishita. "But what if he's a total hottie like John Abraham?" She glanced at Shravan, her tone teasing. "I could have at least looked and drooled over him, but no, this girl insisted on a face-to-face meeting first."

"Viki, looked and drooled?" Shravan let out a small laugh, snorting at Devika's stupid fantasies. "If things work out, he'll be Nishi's husband."

"So what?" Devika playfully bit her lip. "Shravan... Jiju and Saali can always have a little affair behind the wife's back. You never knew about this common concept of extra-marital bliss in our culture, huh!?"

Nishita shot her a glare before bursting into laughter.

--

"Nishu, I'll park and catch up with you," Devika said, killing the engine of her first love Royal Enfield. "And calm the hell down, your face is all flushed! It's just a meeting, not your wedding day."

Nishita took off her helmet and nodded as she muttered, "Fuck... Fuck... I'm just feeling a bit anxious, that's all."

"Good luck, darling."

With that, Nishita strolled towards the gate, humming her favorite tune. Lost in her own world, she scrolled through her phone, not paying much attention to where she was going. Suddenly, she bumped into something solid-rock hard, snapping her out of her reverie.

"The heck..."

She heard the voice growl as she tried to regain her balance by clutching onto the person in front of her. Shaking her head to clear her nest of hair from her face, she looked up and found herself gazing into the most unremarkable blandest set of chocolate brown eyes.

Those eyes weren't extraordinary by any means, yet the intensity with which they stared at her sent a shiver down her spine. The passion, the hunger those eyes exuded held her mesmerized, rendering her unable to look away from their depths.

Staring into them, she felt as though she were peering into a universe of secrets, as she noticed golden silky lines in the center of those, flickering and gleaming to reveal a new layer of complexity.

And then he parted his lips...

Kanha!

--

A/N

Unremarkable Blandest Set Of Chocolate Brown Eyes--- Only Nishita could come up with such a description XD

In all my previous writing, I've often depicted the charm of simple features but from other's perspectives finding them to be beautiful, every physical feature, when one character admires another. However, in crafting this story, I aimed to explore the idea that simplicity can be seen as a very bland feature but turns incredibly attractive when love is subjected to oneself, slowly with time.

Spoiler for another book in the series-

**

After all, black eyes, dark and flawed skin tones, and not-so-sexy body shapes hold their unique beauty. Just as Xavier described Krithika's eyes in Book 4 (Yep, written before this book) as akin to starry nights rivaling Van Gogh's paintings, I love to highlight the beauty in understated features.

**

"Kehna Hi Kya" suits the chapter's concluding note, so yep.

Vote share comment :)