16. Tvish (Part 1)

Was the universe orchestrating his deepest desires finally coming to fruition, or was it just a stroke of luck? Maybe it was the culmination of every prayer he'd ever whispered and every tear he'd ever shed, all leading to this moment.

Walking beside the woman of his dreams, his mind oscillated between fantasy and reality, replaying the moments of their meeting. Were they destined to be together? Was this the call of destiny, guiding them towards eternal union?

Oh, how his heart burned with desire to seize this moment! If not for the restraint ingrained in his veins, he might have closed the space between them and held her in his arms. His gaze couldn't tear away from her for more than a heartbeat; she embodied everything he had ever craved in a woman, igniting both love and lust within him.

What sort of insanity was this?

"So..." she began, her voice akin to honey to his ears, cutting through his wild imagination, "Do you work for criminals or against them?"

God, she was addressing him! It felt surreal, like a figment of his imagination.

He pinched himself slightly and winced.

No, this is real.

Clearing his throat, he replied, "Pardon?"

"Do you have trouble hearing?" she snapped. "You've been silent for the past five minutes, and now that I'm attempting to engage in conversation, you're simply gaping at me with a blank expression!"

He grinned like the fool, that he was. "Sorry, I... You're beautiful."

What!? Is that the best you can come up with?

A blush spread across her caramel skin.

Oh, my Kanha! She's so fucking beautiful.

Her surprise was evident as she blinked rapidly. "Did your mother advise you to compliment me as a part of the negotiation for our marriage?"

Did she doubt his sincerity, or was her response a subtle acknowledgment of his compliment? He furrowed his brow in surprise, struggling to decipher her intentions.

Could it be that she's being coerced into this marriage?

The thought stung, but he couldn't bear the idea of her discomfort. He refused to tolerate any woman being forced into a relationship, even if it meant they were merely obeying their parents' wishes. "Are you being pressured into this marriage... or into meeting me?" he asked, his concern evident.

Facing him, her gray eyes sparkled with that beautiful tinge of blue. "You're delusional if you think anyone could coerce me into doing anything," she retorted, rolling her eyes. "Your mother has a way with words, but somewhere in my mind, I was curious to meet you too."

His heart skipped a beat.

So, she's intrigued by you!

"Why?" he prodded.

She shrugged. "I enjoyed Mrs. Singh's company, and I was curious to see what her children would be like."

What her children would be like? So, she's not interested in you, but in your mother!?

Who would ever be interested in me? I am just an ordinary man with a dull job, an okayish physique, and a very very boring life.

It was disheartening to realize that the woman he desired like a madman wanted nothing from him. The fact that she found his mother more captivating than him was unsettling, to say the least.

"So, you don't like me?" he inquired, his tone tinged with disappointment.

She snorted. "I don't even know you. I've never seen you before," she replied, skipping a step as she danced through the wild rose bushes. "Today is the first time I've laid eyes on you. How could I possibly like you?"

"First time seeing me?" he echoed in surprise. "Weren't you shown a photo or something?"

He was taken aback to learn that she hadn't seen his photo before.

Arranged marriages typically involved sharing photographs beforehand. He had ignored the email from Shalini Aunty—why the fuck did you miss it!?—because of a certain reason—the one who was twirling in front of him—but he was certain she must have received a photo of him as well. His mother wouldn't blindly arrange a meeting; Yashoda Veer Singh held too much respect for everyone in the world to treat them as a commodity.

She spun around to face him. "I thought it would be better to meet in person first, rather than just judging from a photo," she explained, smiling. "You see, my imagination tends to run wild, so if you had looked handsome—well you aren't that bad," she flushed deeper. "I'd have started building up all these grand expectations... And after the meeting, if you happened to be the opposite of what I had imagined, well, it would have been a letdown." She chuckled nervously. "Men are just ass—uh, I mean... aa... unpredictable, let's say. Oops, I'm rambling again."

Raising an eyebrow, he asked, "You're quite talkative, aren't you?"

She shot him a look as if he had grown two heads. "I thought you already figured that out," she replied with a derisive laugh, it didn't matter to him as he just couldn't get enough of her beautiful voice. "What kind of attorney are you to pick up on that detail so late?"

"One who likes to dig deep and take his time to unravel things, as slowly as possible," he responded, his voice growing husky. "It helps in success and pleasure is infinite."

Don't do that... Don't you fucking spook her with your wild side, Jagdish!

Yes, I'll keep my composure and act like a gentleman.

--

A/N

Okay... That's a bit dreamy and wild of Jagdish to imagine too much XD

Ever since "Sairat" was released, "Yad Lagla" has remained a favorite of mine. Ajay-Atul's music has consistently impressed me, with nearly every song they compose being perfect. They've been a significant reason for my growing interest in Marathi songs.

This song perfectly captures Jagdish's emotions, so I decided to include it here. ;)

Vote share comment :)