1.1 Welcome to Nevermore

*Third POV*

Upon a foggy hill, sat a lone home. The house, more like a mansion, was a towering structure with steep, gabled roofs and an abundance of ornate, dark wood trim. Its windows were narrow and tall, some of them featuring stained glass designs and some that adorned with cracks and missing pieces that added more to the charm of the house. Dark green ivy crawled up the stone walls, intertwining with the iron railings and giving the home an ancient, overgrown appearance.

The sprawling estate around the mansion was a peculiar garden filled with a variety of exotic, and at times unsettling, plants. Twisting topiaries, gnarled trees, and dense thickets created a labyrinthine atmosphere, in the centre of the garden, a stone fountain stood. Its water was a mysterious shade of dark green, surrounded by statues of mythological creatures that seemed to watch over the grounds. Just past the fountain, a graveyard sat, with spooky headstones and kooky statues, each depicting an Addams family member that passed years prior.

Beyond the garden and graveyard, a mist-shrouded forest extended, its tall, looming trees whispering secrets to the wind. A winding gravel path led from the front gate to the grand entrance of the mansion, lined with rows of withering roses and peculiar statues that appeared to come alive in the dim light.

Inside the mansion, a white-haired girl was skipping around her bedroom, collecting her belongings to travel to her new school. She was so distracted that she didn't sense her mother, Morticia's presence at the doorway, "I would pick the white dress, Amaris," Morticia's smooth voice called as she flicked her long black hair over her should and crossed her arms under her breasts.

The girl, Amaris, swung around, her short hair flying widely, she smiled, "Good choice, mother," Amaris giggled as she padded into her large wardrobe and pulled out a midi-length white short-sleeve dress. Amaris laid it out on her bed, grabbed a black cardigan, a pair of black chunky platform Mary Jane shoes and white thigh-high socks.

Morticia gazed happily at her youngest daughter, Amaris was only clad in a pair of white undergarments as she skipped to her vanity and began her makeup routine. Morticia swiftly left her daughter's room and closed the door.

Amaris smiled as she got her eyeliner to match perfectly, she added a fair amount of blush and faux freckles before dressing in her chosen outfit. She stood in the centre of her dimly lit room, surrounded by an array of her most beloved possessions, ss the distant sounds of a haunting melody played on her vintage phonograph. Using a little bit of magic she inherited from her grandmother, Amaris flicked her wrist and gracefully her essential items lifted into the air. From underneath her four-poster canopy bed, her large black velvet trunk floated out onto the plush covers and opened.

She paused for a moment, taking in the sight of her family portrait hanging on the wall, the familiar faces of her eccentric relatives staring back at her. A slight smile curved her lips as she thought about the exciting new chapter that awaited her at Nevermore Academy. It was a place where her unique talents would be nurtured, and she could finally find others who shared her dark, whimsical outlook on life.

With another graceful flick of her wrist, her favourite lace dresses, crop tops, jeans, dress pants and various sets of undergarments and shoes flew out of her cupboard. They folded themselves in the air and gently laid into the trunk, carefully arranging them next to her collection of vintage books on the occult. Her white bunny, Lux, watched from his perch on the windowsill, his glowing red eyes following her every move. Amaris made sure to pack her favourite potions and spells, each vial securely nestled in a protective case.

As she closed the trunk and fastened the ornate clasps, a sense of anticipation washed over her. Amaris was nervous about her journey at Nevermore, her parents had attended and found each other. She hoped to find love like theirs one day.