Chapter 1: Same Old Routine But...

Nathan

Please

Remember

Me

"Ahh"

I jolt up in my bed as I let a silent scream gasping for fresh air, the vivid darkness and the soothing but terrific voice still playing in my head like a tape recorder. But I composed myself since these memories were quite common for me at this stage of my life.

Even if the fan is switched on, I am still sweaty but nothing a cold shower wouldn't fix, though I sometimes wonder who really is that girl and why do I see her shadow covered face every time I sleep.

Questions upon question but sadly, no answers in sight so like always, I give up on the thought.

I looked towards my clock and saw that after one hour the clock will ring loudly to wake me up, but I was awake before the alarm struck 7:00 AM. I turned off the alarm system, before walking to the bathroom to clear the solid debris from my eyes.

After doing my morning business, I took a bath too keeping myself hygienic but then after applying shampoo and washing it off, I look in the mirror and sigh seeing my ugly face. My green eyes twinkled as I moved the strands of my brown hair to the side.

Due to work out, I had a lean build with a sharp jawline and nose though instead of amplifying my looks, it only made me look bad. Putting my hands on the sink, I breathe trying to calm my mind and after feeling the worries vanish like smoke, I use my fingers to pull my mouth backwards to smile.

"Smile Nathan"

I say to my smiling reflection before wrapping a towel around my waist. Sliding my hair backwards, I exit my washroom and stand in front of my wardrobe looking for the school uniform.

After a while of searching since I am a bit messy when it comes to being orderly, I finally find it and whisper a short 'yes' to myself. It consisted of a blue jacket, a white undershirt with a red tie and black long pants.

Pretty simple, but it did look good on everybody.

Checking the time once again, I find that I still have enough time left in my hands and so I go downstairs, quickly grabbing some bread and put them in the toaster while grabbing the jam that stays safe in a labelled container.

I tap my right foot on the ground in a rhythm humming to a music that I created in my head as I prepare the plates setting it down on the dining table before the breads emerge perfectly toasted.

I grab them before dumping them on the white plates grabbing a butter knife before scooping the jam with its help covering the upper surface of the two breads with it, while whistling an unknown tune.

Then I ate them licking my fingertips so that the remaining jam is also consumed instead of getting washed by the tap water adjusted with the sink. I put the plates in the sink as I clean them one by one before putting them in their rightful utensil drawers.

I check the time once again and I had a few minutes before I leave, so I grab a lighter and use it to light up the candles in front of the hanging picture frame of my late parents as I mutter a chant to God, so that their soul stays happy wherever they may be.

I don't have many memories about them, but I know that the only reason I have suffered amnesia but not died is because of them who embraced me during the accident which sent the truck driver who hit us to jail.

So instinctively care towards them enters my heart and affects my consciousness,

Then I quickly exit my inherited house through the front door which has floral designs on it and wear my shoes before rotating my head so that satisfying crack happens and it certainly did, a satisfaction that can never be too much.