Chapter 7

It's been a few weeks since Felix drunkenly called Lyn and the two had been more distant since then. They were nice but in a professional way and both knew that this was how it was supposed to be but neither could deny the feeling that something was missing.

Right now the two were along with a friend of Felix's, back from their trainee days, in the mall, going for a quick shopping trip.

At first Lyn stayed in the background but both Felix and his friend agreed that that was way too suspicious so very soon they took her in their middle. Lyn didn't really have any other choice than to tag along with them like she was just another one of their friends. But she had to admit that she didn't have that much fun in a long time. Lyn was never one to have many - or any at all- friends but ever since she moved to South Korea she had been completely on her own.

Her boss from the personal protection firm was her only actual social contact but that came from the fact that he was more like a father to her. When Lyn was 16 she moved to New York and took part in a personal security course. There she met her boss who more or less adopted her and sponsored her training to become a bodyguard.

When her boss was transferred to Seoul it wasn't even an option to stay behind in New York, not that anything really bound her to that city anyways.
Now she was 23 and able to live a stable live of her own but she couldn't be any more thankful to her boss.

"You're spacing out" Felix said and gently bumped into her to wake her up.
"Oh sorry, that wasn't professional of me, I should have been more attentive."

"Oh it's fine, literally nothing interesting happened" Felix waved it off, "What were you thinking about? I have never seen you so deep in thought."

"Nothing important, just about my life before I came here."
"Oh? I thought you had lived in Seoul all this time" Felix admitted and turned more towards Lyn, telling her to continue.

Felix's friend was in the changing room, probably going to take some time because he had a whole bunch of clothing items going in.

"Well, fine, I moved to Seoul about three years ago because I was offered a job here as a security for the concert arena."

"Why are you not working there anymore?" Felix asked, his noisy side showing strongly.

"This job pays better" Lyn joked but for once Felix understood that it was her hint to drop the topic.
"Where did you live before that?"

"New York. I was in the personal protection academy there and started working for the firm that is now providing your guys's bodyguards" Lyn continued and let her gaze go over their surroundings, trying to spot any crazy fans or other potential threats.

"So you're a New Yorker then? How cool" Felix laughed and secretly imagined Lyn showing him around the big city and sharing all her favourite spots.

"No, not really actually. I was born in Detroit, at least I think I was. I only moved to New York when I was 16 to join the program" Lyn was still looking around, feeling like something was off but she didn't want to stir panic in Felix when she didn't have actual proof.

"You're parents allowed you to become a bodyguard at 16?! My parents would never" Felix laughed but knew he hit a wrong spot when he saw Lyn's grimace.

"I don't even know my parents or if they are even still alive. And before you say sorry, don't, I moved on from it some time ago."
Felix pressed his lips together, gulping down the 'I'm sorry' that was about to leave his lips. Instead he just nodded and let out an oh.

"Then who were you living with?" Felix asked, hoping that this wasn't one of the not-to-cross lines that Lyn mentioned. He seemed to be lucky since Lyn only took a deep breath before she started talking.

"At first I lived in an orphanage but then I came into a foster family and they didn't really care if I moved to New York at 16 or not" Lyn was well aware that she skipped a few details, such as the time she had lived on the street or the fact that her foster family very much disliked her moving out, "In the academy I met my future boss who kinda became my parental figure now, so don't worry, it's not like I have been on my own all this time."

Before Felix could answer, his friend exited the changing room, "I will take these, so let's go, it's already getting late!"

Lyn was happy to escape their conversation and move on, she never liked opening up about her past. She often considered her live only having begun when she turned 16.

"I need to say goodbye now guys, I'm heading that way" The guy, whose name Lyn shamefully couldn't recall, said and pointed towards the bus station. Felix and Lyn had arrived by car so they would have to go to the parking garage.

Felix and his friend hugged tightly while Lyn only sent an awkward wave and pulled Felix after her because she still had that off-putting feeling.

"Today was awesome! Thanks for coming along" Felix thanked while they stood in the elevator.
"You asked me to come along, of course I will in that case."

"I still had a lot of fun!" Felix smiled brightly and linked his arms with Lyn's, happy that she didn't push him away.

They walked towards their car but Lyn stopped them before they could reach it.
"What's going on?" Felix asked, confused about what Lyn was looking at.

She didn't answer him but instead whipped around but no one except them was anywhere near.
"Lyn, what is going on?" Felix asked again, becoming more worried every passing second.

Again instead of answering Lyn pulled him towards the car and only now Felix saw the piece of paper on the windshield.

Lyn reached for it and pushed it towards Felix, "That's what's going on!"

Felix looked down and read the letters which were cut out from old newspapers and magazines.

"I am always watching you!"

———————
~this is not proofread so just ignore all the mistakes you found
~ I thought it was supposed to be spring now but the weather has been shitty all week

~until next chapter
~~June