~Chapter eighteen~

"Ryujin?" 

Her mother asked again when she didn't hear an answer. Ryujin came back down to earth and cleared her throat before stepping aside to let her mother go in.

The woman was staring at Yeji, while she was holding a box of cookies in her hands.

The cat girl was nervous under that look and she knew perfectly well why, she had recognized that voice from when she was in her cat form, knowing that it was Ryujin's mother, that woman who did not want to accept her in the house

"M-Mom, what are you doing here? I didn't know you were coming to see me." Ryujin told her and quickly approached her, trying to hide how nervous she was at seeing her mother and her gaze fixed on Yeji.

"Well, Yuna told me you were kicked out of your job." The woman stopped looking at Yeji and turned her gaze from her to her daughter, who was faking a smile. "Who is the girl?"

Ryujin cleared her throat again and tried to change the conversation.

"What is this, mom? They're cookies, they smell delicious-"

But her mother would not remain in doubt, she was not a very easy woman to persuade.

"Ryujin." The woman said in a serious tone of voice and Ryujin took a deep breath.

"Okay, she's..." The short-haired girl turned to look at Yeji for a few seconds, she could tell how nervous she was, perhaps scared by the harsh gaze of her mother.

If you tell her that Yeji is just a friend, she is going to start asking things and it will be much worse.  You know how she is.

"She is?"

Her mother asked, then Ryujin walked towards Yeji and took her hand, walking with her until she was closer to her mother again, who was still looking at them both.

"This is my girlfriend, mom. This is Yeji."

Yes, that way her mother would probably calm down, knowing that her daughter was not a promiscuous woman who brought different girls to her apartment every night.

The woman reached out to Yeji to shake her hand, but the cat girl was busy staring at Ryujin's hand with her fingers intertwined with hers, which, for some reason, made her heart start to beat fast.

But Ryujin cleared her throat, bringing her back.

"Yeji?"

The cat girl looked up, looked at Ryujin's mother's hand and imitated her movement, giving a smile to the woman, who still had a serious expression on her face.

Yeji could tell that Ryujin's mother was quite similar to Yuna, so Ryujin must be similar to her father.

"Shin Daeryu. Your name is?"

"Hwang Yeji."

Ryujin immediately looked at Yeji wondering where she got that last name from or if it was her real last name, but she decided that would be a question for later and looked at her mother again, pretending that she wasn't nervous.

"Cute name..." The woman said, finally breaking into a smile, until she looked over Yeji's head, seeing those two small pointy protuberances sticking out of her hair. "And cute ears...?"

Ryujin felt her cheeks heat up and immediately let go of Yeji's hand to help her mother with the box she had in the hand and her bag.

The woman looked at Yeji for a few more seconds, but then she decided to sit on the couch, which Yeji did too.