Chapter 27- Agent Rivers

Calista Wallace. Danvers, as she goes by now, is hiding something. I knew it a year ago when she was taken from the Gremory branch in the middle of the day in front of a woefully underprepared security guard and her best friend and co-worker. Even replaying over the surveillance tapes, I understood. No regard to her own safety and meek, her odds of being returned alive, let alone unharmed dwindled by the day. Her story had no visible holes, but to be kept for that long without once glimpsing her captors faces? It smelled like a bathroom after Taco Bell.

There's something we're missing. My superiors thought I was fishing and told me to find a new avenue of investigation. I only was allowed to dive back in once there was another hit and Calista's name was once again attached. Had I revealed her old identity, I probably would have had more leeway, but there was something that held me back. Vernon's been super helpful. Thinks she's not capable of being some kind of mastermind. He's convinced she's just got bad luck and at worst is covering for the fact that her treatment in captivity didn't go as smoothly as she claims. Normally I would agree except for the way she stared me down when I asked about Deputy Barnes. That wasn't the look of a victim. It was the shining eyes of a victor.

To be honest, I'm not too worried about him. From what I was able to see of his service record and what I found hidden in Calista Wallace's hospital records, he's not someone anyone will miss. I'm of the firm opinion he ran off during his leave. Besides, there's nothing to connect him to Calista Danvers at all.

"Are you familiar with Mr. Hamilton?" I ask.

"In name only. I know who he is. He sent a pretty informal letter after everything last year. I probably have it somewhere around here, but I've never met the man or even spoken to him until last Friday. It's not like I'm a manager or anything," she answers easily. Clear and open eyes, no bouncing leg, no accelerated heart rate that I can see. Hand movements when she speaks, but it's standard human twiddling for emphasis. Nothing of note.

As much as she wants to erase Calista Wallace from her identity, I know that's the best place to look for answers given that Calista Danvers might as well be a newborn for the amount of information that identity holds. Oh, there's plenty there if you don't look too hard. Whoever created this new identity was good. Recruitment level even. I only looked deeper because of Barnes. Even going through her background with a fine-tooth comb, there's no connection to be found outside of their birthplace. All I can see is the tiny city of Bells, but her aunt's condition makes the move to Gremory a logical choice. The medical facilities in Bells are present, but not equipped for long term care. Gremory's one of the closest available options outside of a major city and given their finances, I can see why that wouldn't have been a realistic option. Still, there's no such thing as a coincidence. Something my partner is intent on forgetting.

"The Hamiltons are a pretty big name in this state as I understand it. Would've been an even bigger name in such a small town like Bells. You're not that far apart in age from his children. Never interacted with them in school or anything?"

Her brow furrows as she takes a deep breath. It's a fight to keep my own expression neutral after all she's given me with just that. "They were after my time, but everyone knew of them. The family employed a good portion of the town in their various businesses. I opened my first bank account at the Bells branch just like most of the people I grew up with." She huffs out a breath and her head tilts just enough that her hair flops across her head, eyebrows raising as if asking where I'm going with this line of questioning. "I don't see how this really makes a difference. Small towns don't really leave many options. Play six degrees of separation in any town the size of Bells and you'll find most people connected within four, at least in the most basic of ways."