Chapter 1: A New Dragonet

I raced up the stairs on four furry legs.

At the moment I was a wolf. I could get to the royal hatchery faster.

I'm not trying to brag but I'm a powerful dragon. I'm a raspberry-pink Skywing-Allwing with golden wings. I have firescales (Which just means my scales could burn any dragon) and I'm an Animus.

Being an Animus means I have a lot of power. For example, I can change from wolf to scavenger and back to dragon. Although I guess that wouldn't count since only me and my twin can do that. Another example would be that I can enchant stuff and float things with my mind. I enchanted a necklace I always wear so that my scales only burn dragons that threaten me. Unlike other dragons, my soul will not be damaged. I also have the powers of every dragon breed in Pyrrhia.

Pyrrhia is my home.

I've been to a lot of places.

And if you were wondering my name, it's Blaire.

I am a really big Skywing (because of the Allwing). I am bigger than all dragons. My height is around 58 ft for all you scavengers, and around 65 ft long, counting my tail. Skywings can't get as big as me. There were only two dragons close to my size, and they were two Nightwings named Darkstalker and Morrowseer. Darkstalker is the only dragon that I know of that was bigger than me. He was around 64 ft tall. Now where were we? Oh, yeah.

I ran up the stairs to the royal hatchery.

I have a lot of dragonets. I have one from almost every tribe. These are my Dragonets: Vermin, Pearl, Snow, Flake, Scar, and the Pantalan dragonets.

Vermin is the oldest. She's a mudwing. She prefers to spar and work on training than to play.

Next is Pearl, the Seawing. She loves her beauty but she is also kinda smart. We named her after one of the old queens, Queen Pearl of the seawings.

Then there are the twins, Snow and Flake. The Icewings. They are super playful and mischievous. I am aware that their names suck. I didn't name them.

And Scar. He's the genius of the family.

The last three are NOT triplets, but they hatched within a few days after each other. First, there's Junebug, the Hivewing. She believes in peace. Then there's Opal, the Silkwing. He is a sorta nature rights activist. And last, Arum, the Leafwing. She likes to fight but is super loyal to her siblings. She loves hanging out with Sundew.

The reason I was running to the royal hatchery was because of my most recent egg. A sandwing egg. I got this egg almost a year 1/2 ago! It should have hatched by now! Well, it was hatching now.

"HURRY! IT'S HATCHING!" My Icewing partner Blizzard bellowed at me from down the stairs.

"I'm coming!" I shouted back.

I opened my wings as I changed very slowly into a dragon, and sailed up the stairs.

I ran through the hatchery door, fully turning into my huge Skywing self.

I saw my big sister, Queen Ruby, standing next to my twin, and our big brothers, Hawk and Vermillion. My twin is a coral pink and as big as me. She can do everything I can. We both wear beautiful necklaces that have all our enchantments. Her name is Flare but I sometimes call her Skye which is her human name.

I saw Blizzard standing by a platform with a yellow egg. The egg had a few spots of white and orange.

The shell was cracked!

It cracked some more and then the pieces of the egg fell and sitting in its place was a tiny Sandwing.

The Sandwing was a small female. Her scales were a pale golden color with small white spots sprinkled on her face and snout. Her tail barb was pale orange and so was one of her claws.

"She is a mix of you and me. Even though she was from a random egg," observed Blizzard, stating the obvious as he stepped forward.

"Really?! I didn't notice!" I said sarcastically and Hawk let out a laugh.

"You need to name her." Ruby walked over looking at the dragonet.

"Cactus," said me and Flare at the same time. I looked back and frowned at her.

"How many times have I told you not to read my mind?!" I demanded.

"I thought you could block my mind reading. Besides, it's not like you have Skyfire."
"I don't like to use Skyfire. It blocks my mind reading." I growled.

"Still, you should be able to do better."

"Why you little-" I started, but Ruby stepped in between us.

Stop. She said in her head. I mean it.

Blizzard seemed to be considering my choice as Ruby stepped back. After a minute he nodded.

"I like it. It suits her. But how do you think she got the red and white scales?"

I shrugged.

"Maybe one of her ancestors was an Icewing or Skywing?" Vermillion guessed.

"Her mother did look like she was some sort of hybrid," Blizzard said, lifting Cactus into his arms as she sneezed.

"That means she lied to us!" Hawk exclaimed. "She told us it was a genuine Sandwing egg!"
"Do you want her killed?" Flare asked nonchalantly, raising her venomous tail.

"NO! I am not Mother. That poor dragon doesn't deserve it. She was sweet and willing to give up her egg for us. She will not be killed. Got it?!" Flare nodded reluctantly.
After a while Ruby, Vermillion, and Hawk left. Then Flare. And then Blizzard did too. I stayed. I wasn't going to leave Cactus.

Cactus started messing with my wing when a blue and yellow head poked into the room.

A blue rainwing with yellow diamond patterns jumped into the room. The yellow diamond-shaped spot around her eye turned pink with delight. She ran around me before stopping beside Cactus.

"It hatched! Oh, the egg hatched! Oh, Blaire, she's soooooo pretty!"

"Thanks, Eucalyptus," I said with a laugh as Cactus bit her ear. "Her name is Cactus."

"She sure feels like one," Eucalyptus said as Cactus tried to stab her arm with her tail barb. She immediately jumped back.

"Don't worry. Her tail barb doesn't have venom yet. She can try to stab you but it won't poison you. It might still hurt though."

All of a sudden Cactus's head rolled over and her eyes closed with her tongue out.

"Oh my gosh! Is she OK? Do we need to get a doctor?!"
"Let me check."

I nudged my huge snout against her tiny body and felt her breathing. "She's just asleep. I'll lay down with her too."

Eucalyptus shrugged before skipping out of the room.

I picked up Cactus and went into my room. I put her on my bed before curling up beside her. I yawned and closed my eyes as I felt Cactus put her tail over my head. Soon I was also asleep.