Lemon-Basil Pasta with Broccolini

Ingredients

•    ⁠1 tablespoon olive oil
•    ⁠1 shallot, peeled and diced
•    ⁠4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
•    ⁠½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus more to taste
•    ⁠14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained
•    ⁠2 cups water or vegetable broth
•    ⁠12 ounces linguine
•    ⁠16 ounces broccolini, rinsed thoroughly and roughly chopped
•    ⁠12 basil leaves, roughly chopped; plus more for serving
•    ⁠1 lemon, juiced
•    ⁠Salt and pepper

To start:

1.    ⁠Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Simmer the chickpeas:

1.    ⁠As you wait for the water to boil, prepare the chickpeas. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3–4 minutes. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.

2.    ⁠Add the chickpeas to the pot and toss to combine. Cook for 1–2 minutes. Pour in the water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer as you cook the pasta. The liquid should be reduced by about half. You can lightly mash some chickpeas for a slightly thicker sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook the pasta:

1.    ⁠Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes under al dente. Scoop out ½ cup of pasta water. Add the broccolini and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Finish the sauce:

1.    ⁠Add the basil leaves to the sauce along with the pasta water. Bring to a boil. Add the cooked pasta, broccolini, and lemon juice. Toss to coat. Season once more with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Remove from heat.

To serve:

1.    ⁠Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Garnish with a few more basil leaves, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of black pepper on top if you like. Enjoy!