Chapter six

Isabel's heart pounded as she walked towards the history classroom. The memory of her encounter with Veronica in the bathroom was still fresh in her mind.

Today, though, she had to focus on something else. As she entered the room, her eyes locked onto the redhead.

She stood at the front, chalk dust covering her fingers as she wrote on the board. Her arms flexed with each movement, drawing Isabel's attention to her.

Yet Isabel still felt hatred towards her, after all the redhead was always putting Isabel down and making stupid comments.

The new girl Valentina sits next to Isabel once again, keeping her the company that Isabel does not need at the moment.

"How have you been?" Isabel stays silent for a few seconds. "Okay. I've been okay." She answers and looks down at her history book.

Valentina senses the discomfort and doesn't question any further.

Watching as Ms. Gordon teaches today's lesson, Isabel couldn't help but feel bored and also kind of angry.

"Ms. Reyes, you haven't turned in your assignment and the deadline was due yesterday." Ms. Gordon says and Isabel massages her temple.

"I'll send it today." Ms. Gordon gives her a look but nods. "Stay after class please." Gripping her finger Isabel sighs, what the hell does that woman want again?

Isabel sat slumped in her chair, staring blankly at the chalkboard. Boredom weighed heavily on her mind, counting down the minutes till dismissal.

Ms. Gordon, droned on about some historical event while Isabel barely registered the lecture, thoughts elsewhere.

The clock seemed to drag its hands slower than usual, each tick echoing in her ears. Finally, the bell rang, signaling end-of-class.

Most students rushed out, eager for freedom. However, Isabel remained rooted to her seat, waiting for her inevitable confrontation.

Ms. Gordon collected papers first, scanning them meticulously. Once finished, she gestured for Isabel to follow her.

"Ms. Reyes," Ms. Gordon snapped, glaring at the missing paper. "Did I send someone else to collect yours?" Isabel clenched her jaw at the sarcasm.

Isabel swallowed hard, annoyance stirring within her. "No, ma'am. I truly forgot." The redhead stares at her, her blue eyes now dilated by how angry she is.

"Well, then you'll remain behind today." Ms. Gordon stated flatly, crossing her arms. "I don't want to, I told you I'll send the assignement today." Isabel snaps back.

Silence dragged on uncomfortably until Ms. Gordon broke it. "Perhaps you should focus less on other distractions and more on your education." The redhead clearly meant Veronica by distractions.

Her words struck like a dagger, hitting close to home. Isabel's frustration boiled over, color rising in her cheeks."Excuse me?" she challenged, standing tall despite her trembling voice.

 Ms. Gordon raised an eyebrow. "Were you expecting praise for mediocrity, Isabel? You're capable of more." "Capable of more?" Isabel repeated incredulously. "And yet, you treat me like I'm incapable of anything!"

Ms. Gordon's face darkened further. "Your behaviour speaks louder than any words I could utter." Isabel clenched her fists, fury simmering beneath her skin. How dare she judge her so harshly?

Isabel turned to exit, feeling the tension snap like a thread. However, Ms. Gordon caught hold of her wrist, halting her escape. Startled, they found themselves uncomfortably close. Their gazes locked, a heated battle waged between them.