FIVE

Y U N A

"You were right!" I exclaimed, grabbing the grocery bag. We were in a grocery store, and Juliana had been arguing about getting our stuff there. The sun was setting, and we were going to her place.

"I'm always right," she said, rolling her eyes. "Let's get going." She grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the grocery store.

The orange glint of the setting sun was visible through the heavy grey clouds, making the place look very pretty. "Ayy," I muttered.

We left the store, and Juliana let go of my arm, dusting her jeans. "Girl, let's get home already. I'm tired as fuck."

"I'm also tired, but I didn't want to complain. We spent the whole day trying to find Kane, but there was no luck," I said, feeling grateful.

She didn't stop walking; she hit me with an elbow, laughing. "You don't have to thank me all the time, you know."

"Whatever," I said, brushing off the topic before it got awkward. I had only just met her, after all.

"The apartment is right ahead."

"Oh, phew. Are we having pizza?" I asked suddenly, feeling my stomach cry out.

She nodded without answering. The place was really quiet, so I thought she didn't want to make a sound. She looked like a hot mess, literally. She wore an oversized shirt and jeans and smelled like burnt hair.

"What's that?" I nudged her, pointing ahead.

She stopped walking, looking to where my finger was pointing. I saw someone in a coat walking into the alleyway, and I showed it to Juliana. She, seeing this, fastened her pace, dragging me with her without speaking.

She had her fingers digging into her other palm and was sweating, though it was windy and cold. My breathing was fast but steady. She was scared and I wasn't. "Someone's behind us, right?"

"Yes," she answered.

As we quickened our pace, the footsteps behind us seemed to draw closer, echoing ominously in the quiet street. My heart raced, my mind filled with unease. "Juliana, they're getting closer," I whispered, my voice barely audible.

Juliana's grip on my arm tightened, her expression tense. "Just keep moving," she replied tersely, her eyes scanning the dimly lit street ahead.

The distant sound of footsteps grew louder, now accompanied by a low, menacing hum. My breath hitched in my throat as I glanced back, catching a glimpse of a shadowy figure closing in. "Juliana, what's going on?" I asked, my voice trembling.

It looked like she knew what was happening.

"There's a lady walking ahead. We should follow her," she answered in a small voice.

I did hear someone ahead, but I couldn't see. It wasn't getting dark yet. "Why? Why can't we go to your place?"

She hesitated. "She looks like she can help. Don't make a sound, don't let her see us."

"Huh?"

"Not yet. Now speed up," she said through gritted teeth, her fingers digging into my palm. I never imagined her like this. I've only known her for two months now, and I still wonder how Kane and she became friends.

I did speed up, but he was now behind us,
close enough for us to feel him on our necks. We were now at  the front entrance of the building, he wasn't running, he was walking. His silent footsteps now audible.
The woman didn't seem to hear much, but she knew she was being followed and didn't bother to find out who it was that followed her.

Seeing this, I violently pulled out of Juliana's grip and ran back to the buildings behind.

My heart pounded in my chest as I sprinted down the dimly lit street, my mind a whirlwind of fear. I could hear the man's light footsteps behind me, each step closer than the last.

"Juliana!" I yelled, my voice barely audible over the sound of my own breathing. I glanced back to see her disappearing into the building following the woman.

There was a single door to my left, so I dashed towards it, slamming it behind me. It was a stairway leading up the building, probably to the rooftop. There was no lock and nowhere to hide. I stood by the door, watching him stand outside, the transparent glass making my face visible to him. He wore a hat, its shadow covering his features. Changing his mind, he turned and walked away towards the building Juliana ran into.

"Why am I so fucking stupid?"

I waited twenty more minutes, I didn't hear her nor him.

"I'm probably going to regret this," I said to myself, walking out.

The entrance to the building they went into was just ahead, and without thinking, I dashed towards it, my legs burning with exertion. As I reached the door, I pulled it open and stumbled inside, my heart pounding in my ears.

Just like the other building, there was a stairway, but it was dimly lit with orange lights. It had broken glass windows and moss on the walls, but the stairs still looked clean.

"Juliana!" I called, walking up the stairs, my voice echoing through the empty corridor. I started down the hallway, my eyes scanning for any sign of them.

Suddenly, I heard a muffled cry from somewhere nearby. My heart leaped into my throat as I hurried towards the sound. As I turned a corner, I saw Juliana on the floor. Blood spilling out of her mouth, her palms on her neck.

"Ah- " she struggled to let out a word, but all that came out was a small cry.

"Juli-" I started.

"R- ru-n" she struggled.

My feet were frozen to the floor, I wanted to run. But all I could do was stand there and watch as she bled out completely. The little bracelets I gave to her were still on her wrist, her face was frozen, the expression she had on was not of fear. She looked like she always did. Happy.

I think today is the best day of my life. she always says

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

hey lovelies!, thoughts?

don't forget to vote, comment and share.

xoxo۵