ELEVEN

Z A Y N

I stood beside an oak tree, leaning on the trunk, waiting for her. It was 12:39, and the park was empty except for two cats playing with each other on the grass. They have no idea the world is dying. Lucky things.

The black and white cat had its paws on the ginger one while it cried. It was quite entertaining, though I didn't like animals.

"I wonder if they'll run when they know who you are," Belle appeared, her pale face making her look sick due to the poorly lit space.

"Officer," I grinned. "Pleasure."

Without hesitating, she pulled out her gun, aiming it at my head. "You're The Bane of the East. Did you forget to mention that?"

I moved closer to where she stood, her grip on the gun tightening. "Well, wasn't it obvious when you saw the crime scene, darling?" She smelled like coffee, her breathing getting louder.

"And you thought I'd make a deal with someone like you?"

"Well, you are desperate, so yes," I said, towering over her, causing her to raise her head to see my face.

"I'm not desperate. And move back or I'll shoot" she warned. "What exactly do you want?"

Smiling, I took a few steps back to the oak tree behind me, leaning on its trunk again. From what I knew about this lady, she won't back out.

"You know, officer, life is not all roses and rainbows for an assassin like me."

"Isn't it?" She spoke, faking disappointment. "Answer my question."

"You got assigned a case, didn't you?"

"Not the one I wanted, but yes," she replied willingly.

I moved away from the tree, taking a seat on the wooden bench. "I know, the girl that's missing, Yuna Park."

"How'd you know?"

Ignoring her question, I continued, "Well, I can help you find her, and we'll help each other find the person behind  what happened to you guys."

"How?"

Telling her this would make her desperate, though she did seem hard to convince.

"Why would I believe you?"

"You have to."

I could see her lips twitching; she wanted to pull the trigger. I was provoking her.

"Who are you?" she asked again. "You're an assassin, but I've seen you-"

"Of course, you have. I walk in broad daylight; I'm not a vampire."

"Why should I believe you?" She asked again.

"You have to," I said again, lighting a cigarette while I spoke, noticing her breathing quicken and sweat trickling down her forehead even though it was cold. I wasn't going to give her an option; I'd wasted enough time already. And she'd just have to accept it. The park's atmosphere was uncomfortable. My head was throbbing with pain; I haven't had proper sleep for a very long time.

"Why do you trust me?" she protested.

The two cats weren't playing anymore but chasing what looked like a squirrel. "I have no reason not to, and someone like you won't walk out knowing they'll get their answers."

She didn't take her eyes off me, but she lowered her gun. Finally.

"It's not just an attack, Lieutenant. This is something much worse."

"Why does an assassin want to stop the worse?"

I finally raised my head from the animals to look at her, my voice stern. "That question shall go unanswered. My motives are not relevant, and I don't care about yours, but all I can say I have as many reasons as you do to want him gone."

Putting my cigarette pack back into my coat, I spoke, "So, do you accept this deal or not, officer?"

She took a few steps back, raising her gun again. "There's actually a lot I don't understand about you."

Perfect. "I've got my mysterious killer reputation to uphold; it'll be a shame if I tell you everything about myself tonight."

She took a few breaths, coughing at the smell of my cigar, confusion visible on her face. "Why me?"

I walked towards her, hands in my pockets. "A handsome paradox, am I not?"

"I ask again, do you accept this deal or not, Officer Gabin?"

"What do you expect from me? Suppose I do." She had her gun back in her pocket, her messy hair covering half her face.

"Oh, you know, nothing much. There'd be only three rules," I started walking up to the ginger cat; she was finally agreeing. "First, no withholding information or new intel; second, no asking personal questions. And lastly, no accidentally killing each other."

"That's it?" She asked, raising an eyebrow, her arms folded.

"I like keeping things simple, short, and sweet, officer," my eyes on the little kitten. The grass was wet, and the older one was still chasing the squirrel. "How does that sound?"

"I'd like to add mine," she said, picking up the kitten from the ground. "One, I don't want to be mixed up in any of your shady illegal business."

"So the good cop wants to stay clean even after teaming up with The Bane Of The East," I grinned. The kitten snuggled between her arms; it looked tired. "Sure, no problem."

"And, I don't want you in my life outside this," she said, looking up, her eyes piercing like it was a threat. "I don't want people I care about involved; whatever we do stays between us."

"Ooooh! How scandalous! Sure," I grinned.

Her eyes widened a little. "That's NOT-" she started but rolled her eyes, continuing with her threats. "And if I find out that you're hiding something from me or anyone I care about as much coughs because of you, I'll make sure I pierce through your skull with my bullets."

"Yeah, yeah, I know; it's always headshots with you," I said, folding my arms. "Your threats lack creativity, officer; you really do have an obsession with murder."

"How can I be sure you won't betray me?" She asked again, raising both eyebrows and giving me a death stare.

She is truly exhausting. "Endless questions; if we're going to work together, we have no choice but to trust each other, officer. You go down, I go down; it's been like that the moment you let me walk away."

She was quiet for a minute, so I believed she was convinced. "Do we have a deal?"

"Yes," she said, exhaling loudly.

"Welcome to the team, officer. I am Zayn Grey."

"Belle, Belle Gabin."

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

thoughts? How's the book going?

don't forget to like, comment and vote

xoxo۵