25 - Things I'll Never Know

I'm almost asleep, lying in bed when Rocky climbs next to me and rests his head on my chest. I scratch behind his ears, smiling at the shadows on the ceiling. Do animals know how we feel? Can they sense what's happening in our lives? I want to believe that they are more receptive than we are.

Rocky lazily licks my face as I'm yawning and makes me laugh. "Good night to you too, buddy." I stroke the long, black fur covering his neck, and close my eyes.

My ears start ringing. If Olga was here, she'd laugh and say that people are talking about me. I doubt I'm holding such a big place in anybody's lives. Everyone must have already moved on from what happened last night. My silent phone is the proof of it, as it lies next to me on the bed while I drift off to sleep.

What I don't know is, miles away, people are talking about me—texting back and forth. Perhaps, I'm holding a tiny place in their lives afterall.

***

Nate:
"If you lay a hand on Abby again, I'm going to make you sorry you were born. Do you understand, you narcissistic piece of shit? She is not your toy. Not your commodity. You'll leave her the fuck alone. Don't contact her. Don't even say her name out loud. Stay the fuck away. Asshole. Fucker. Sadistic son of a bitch."

Tiffany:
"Nate, your brother and I don't have time for this kind of crap. We don't approve your ways and it's about time you learn some manners. Do you know how much you hurt Rome? He's staying at a hotel to clear his head tonight. I'm sorry the fight took a bad turn, but can you blame him? This woman isn't good for you! You can do better! Have you met my cousin Georgina? She is single and she's just moved to the city. Give her a call. Love you, Tiffy."

*

Roman:
"Abby, I know my apology won't fix anything, but what happened was an accident. I'm sorry for everything I've put you through. You were right from the start. I always wanted a picture perfect life. And for a short while, I thought I had it all... But then you walked into the magazine and took the elevator with me. I fell for you without even knowing your name. Your perfume intrigued me first. The curve of your neck stunned me. Your eyes gazed into my soul, and your smile torched my entire being. Fuck the magazine. Fuck debts. Fuck consequences. I can't stop thinking of you or the life we could have together if I hadn't fucked it all up. Say the word, and I'll call off the wedding. Just, call me. Let me hear your voice. -R.R."

***

My bedroom door creaks open. "Abby?" Dad's concerned voice reaches me but I'm too tired to turn my head. The bed sinks when he sits beside me, then runs his fingers through my hair.

I can barely part my eyelids. I hope I'm managing to give him a smile as his gentle face leans closer to my ear.

"Just wanted to say goodbye. I'll leave early in the morning," he whispers. "Go back to sleep."

My phone lights up with a text next to my arm, but my fingers feel too heavy to pick it up. Still stroking my hair, Dad reaches to grab it. His frown deepens as he stares at the screen.

"Who is it?" I whisper.

Dad's sigh cuts through the silence. He peeks at me over his glasses, taps on the screen a few times, then puts my phone back down.

"Nobody—spam. I deleted it and blocked their number," he says as he kisses my forehead. "Goodnight, Abby. I love you."