ꜰᴏʀᴛʏ ꜰᴏᴜʀ

IT TOOK A WHILE, BUT YOU finally arrived at his house.

“I'm home!” Chifuyu exclaimed the moment he entered, announcing his presence to his mom.

“Oh, Chifuyu, and...” His mom walked up to you, her eyes widening in surprise. “[Last Name]-san, you're here.”

“Uh... Thank you for having me...” You awkwardly came out from behind Chifuyu, bowing down and holding two luggage. “And, um... good evening.”

“No need to be nervous. I suggested this after all.” Chifuyu's mother smiled softly. “Chifuyu,” His mom walked away, with the both of you following her, to the dining area, where something seemed to be cooking on the stove nearby. “Take her to your dad’s room.”

“She’s staying there?” Chifuyu raised a brow, visibly surprised.

“Where else would she be sleeping? The couch?” Her head snapped to your direction, scrutinising at her son carefully. “You didn’t seriously think we would make her sleep there, did you?”

“Of course not―”

“No, it’s okay! I don’t mind.” You quickly interrupted, straightening your back anxiously. “You were already kind enough to let me stay. I don’t want to burden you further.”

“I insist. I can’t let a guest sleep on the couch.” She said, picking up the cover from the stove as the steam ascended. “Now go unpack. I have to heat up the food first.”

Your shoulders relaxed when it became silent, before Chifuyu walked into your field of view, smiling. “Let’s go then.”

“R-Right...”

While following him, you thought about what you said about staying in Chifuyu’s dad’s room. His dad, being the keyword. You wondered if you were even allowed to sleep in someone else’s room.

“Here.” Chifuyu opened the door for you to enter up, and you stepped in, seeing a surprisingly sparsely furnished room. There were only a bed at the corner, a wardrobe at the other, a bedside table, and an empty desk with a chair.

“Huh...” was your only response. You had expected it to be more furnished.

“My dad passed away years ago, when I was really young.” Chifuyu suddenly spoke, breaking the silence. “So this room’s been left like this since. All his stuff’s gone, so you don’t have to worry about that.”

“...Oh.” You muttered. You could see a twinge of sadness in his eyes. “Do you... miss him?”

Chifuyu smiled, locking eyes with you. “A little. I know it’s not good to cling to the past, but sometimes, I just can’t help it.” He said, before his smile faded as he seriously looked at you. “...Do you miss yours?”

You found yourself considering it for a moment, before you turned away. “I don’t know.” You answered. “He was terrible to me, and I hate him but...” Your heart squeezed painfully, as your hand reached out to your chest. “But I... I love him too. Because he was my family.”

Chifuyu didn’t say anything, pursing his lips. “Honestly, I hate him.”

“...Huh?” You looked up at his unexpected words.

“From what you told me, he sounds like a real shitty dad. When I met him, he was even dragging you, wasn’t he?” Chifuyu earnestly spoke, frowning. “I know I can’t tell you what you should think or feel about him, but... I’m glad he isn’t controlling your life anymore.”

“He wasn’t controlling my life.” You explicitly stated, your tone of voice sounding even a little aggressive.

Chifuyu appeared a little surprised.