(Spatial) Chapter 18 Mortal Action

No one's POV

A localized thunderstorm raged a few kilometers south of Mitsugoshi.

Oscar: Gah!?

Miledi: Ah!?

Flashes of lightning illuminated the torrential downpour. Oscar and Miledi were in the middle of it all, trying their best to dodge the deadly rain. Oscar's umbrella was groaning from all the abuse it had taken. Miledi had put out multiple Spatial Severances, and each had absorbed so much energy it had collapsed. They didn't even have time to grumble to each other. Even a moment's lapse in concentration would lead to their death.

Oscar: You better not underestimate me.

Oscar flung a volley of daggers at Hearst. He controlled their flight freely, and had them close in on Hearst from all sides.

Hearts: I have seen that trick already.

Her silver wings smacked down Oscar's missiles before they could reach their target. They burned, scorched, and froze the air as they fell.

Miledi: But now you're wide open!

Miledi fell upward into the sky. Once she was above Hearst, she unleashed a powerful gravity sphere at her. Hearst crossed her swords above her head and blocked the sphere. Normal swords would have been crushed to a pulp, but Hearst's weapons were made of sterner stuff. Miledi's lips twitched, but she wasted no time in increasing the sphere's pressure. Oscar jumped up next to her using his Onyx Boots and thrust his umbrella at Hearst.

Oscar: Ability Nine, Thunderlord's Judgement! Full power!

Originally, he'd had Spark Plasma as his ninth ability. It was the most cost-effective lightning spell he had. But now he was fighting together with Miledi, and his own skills had improved. So he'd swapped out the ninth ability for the most powerful electric spell known to man.

His umbrella turned inside-out, and concentrated balls of lightning formed at the tips of each rib. They traveled down the umbrella's ribs, combining into one massive lightning sphere at its ferrule. That massive sphere of lightning hurtled toward Hearst. There was a blinding flash of light. For a few seconds, all Oscar could see was white. Hearst vanished inside the dazzling light. Though the recoil sent Oscar flying backward, he was able to recover in midair thanks to his Onyx Boots.

Miledi: O-kun!

Oscar: I'm sure that hit! But—

He wasn't able to finish his sentence. There was a dull thud, and both Miledi's gravity sphere and Oscar's lightning were blown away. Hearst leaped up to where Oscar was and crossed her swords around his neck. It was only thanks to the heightened perception his glasses gave him that he was able to bring up his umbrella in time to guard.

 It was only thanks to the heightened perception his glasses gave him that he was able to bring up his umbrella in time to guard