19

"Oh, right!" Mr. Thomas uttered quickly, brushing his hands over her paper and taking another quick glance at Dominique's shadow with wide eyes.

"Thank you." He muttered, grabbing Dom's work and putting it on his pile of other assignments.

"Hurry up, Dom!" Tyler shouted, sticking his tongue out at her as he smirked, taunting her. Dom just rolled her eyes, flipping Tyler off as she followed him out the door.

She felt Mr. Thomas's eyes follow her out, and she look at him from over her shoulder, taking in his unnerved form.

"Am I tripping?" Dominique asked, starting down at Ashlyn's shadow where her braids were now where in sight.

"That's pretty cool!" Aiden spoke, his hand curling around her hair and tugging on it a bit.

Dom quickly chopped his arm, making him let go of Ashlyn's hair as she sent Dom a thankful smile.

"That shit hurts, Aiden." She scolded, pointing a finger at her hair. She took her hand, furling it around his hair before tugging lightly.

He whined, his hand trying to swat her away as she grinned deviously.

"Am I tripping?" Tyler repeated Dominique's words from before, raising a shaky hand at Dom's shadow as she stopped fooling around with Aiden. Everyone in the group turned over with wide eyes, taking in the terrifying sight of her outlined figure on the ground.

"What?" She asked, twisting around and trying to get good look, huffing in frustration when she couldn't see it.

"Your shadow, Dom. It looks like a phantom." Taylor whispered shakily, her hand gripping onto Tyler's as he, too, started with wide eyes.

Dominique's smile dropped, quickly rushing over to the table next to where Ash was. As she leaned over so she could look at her shadow, her eyes widened in horror as it stared back at her.

Her eyes narrowed in anger, and with a huff of rage, she raised her fist, slamming it down on her shadow as the phantom-like features disappeared off her face.

She breathed out a sigh of relief, flitting her eyes closed and letting go of her panic.

"I noticed something- earlier. When Dom scared off of Barron." Logan started, staring at the table where Dom had eliminated any traces of the phantoms on her figure.

Everyone looked still lightly unnerved, but turned to give Logan their full attention as he continued.

"She left a dent in the locker next to Barron's head. When I looked at it, there was like-" He furled his fists from under the table, trying to think of a way to describe what he saw.

"Like- stretches of shadows around it. It was only for a second, and they weren't very noticeable. They were around Dom's fist, too, and her shadow kind of looked like it was moving...?" He stuttered out, finding his own words to be unbelievable, but as his eyes found Dom's, she looked at him with sincerity, despite the conflicted look in her eye.

She breathed out, looking down at her hands at she curled them into fists.

The group had discussed some theory's about what was happening to Dom. Maybe it was because she had killed the most phantoms out of them all; or maybe it was because she had had the most contact with the phantoms themselves and had spent the most time in the phantom realm.

The group had noticed Dom growing increasingly more uncomfortable with the topic, and decided to let it go. Dom said she would figure it out and they trusted that she would do just that.