Chapter 4

C A S S A N D R A

I watched as we neared the city on the horizon, it had a vast and busy port.

"The commodore wants you to wear this." I heard someone say from behind me.

When I turned I saw the same woman who had let me out, Maeve I think her name was.

She was thin and tall and had brown hair tied into a single braid.

I brought my eyes down to see she was holding clothes with a matching scarf, they were a dark green with silver detailings, I took the clothes deciding not to put the girl in further trouble feeling sorry for her.

I looked up and saw the Commodore discussing something with her brother. She was at the wheel and seemed irritated by her brother, she glanced down at me and saw I got the linens. She gave me a look as if to say 'if you don't wear those I will spiral into insanity.'  Thinking about the aggravating pirate in defeat by me brought a smile of victory to my face.

I walked to her quarters and shut the door behind me. I would really love a bath but I didn't see a tub in her room. Do pirates really not clean themselves ?

Nadia didn't look dirty or even smell unclean, she actually smelled rather nice. I heard the door open suddenly and jumped by the intrusion and turned to see the intruder.

It was a maid she looked so young. Her blonde hair was put back into a bun and she wore a white dress that reached her ankles paired with boots and a leather corset done up in the front. Compared to the rest of the pirate crew she was short, only reaching till my shoulder.

She bowed slightly as she held the water bucket that was half the size of her body. "Your highness."

Hearing the formal address I cringed a little, I had said I wanted to be treated with respect but Royal Treatment was rather drab, nobody spoke a word against you out of fear and they rarely addressed you by your name, it seemed like you were surrounded by mutes.

"Please call me Cassandra." I asked her genuinely.

"Do you need some help with that ?" I asked gesturing to the full water bucket she was holding.

She smiled softly before picking up the water bucket.
"That's quite alright, Cassandra. The commodore had asked me to draw you a bath."

So pirates do have personal hygiene, good to know.

"She wanted me to help you get dressed." She said with a strained voice as she walked into another room attached to these quarters.

I followed her and saw the metal tub in the centre of the room. The maid poured the contents of the bucket in before smiling softly at me. "The bath is ready, you should get in before the water goes cold."

I nodded at her and she backed away from the entrance closing the door behind her. I kicked off the brown boots and I slowly undid the thread of the white shirt I was wearing before pulling it off me entirely, I undid the button of the brown trousers letting it pool around my ankles before stepping into the tub.

I closed my eyes as I let the comfort of the warm water wrap around me. I looked up at the wooden ceiling and thought back to when life wasn't so complicated.

I remember playing with my mother in the castle gardens before her illness. I remember the smell of the flowers and the rain. I remember the little flower crown she made for me which I had proudly showed off to every maid and knight I came across.