Chapter 14: The Awakening Of William James Moriarty

As William closed the door to his house, he immediately went to his room to do one thing. Burn his letter to Sherlock.

As he got to his desk, he glanced at the letter and the penmanship intrigued him into skimming through it again.

To my dearest detective,

Sherly, I am sorry for the decision I have made.

I hope you can forgive me for what I am about to do. I know you've tried to reach out to me, to care for me despite my withdrawal. But I can't bear to burden you any longer with my presence.

The nightmares have returned, haunting me relentlessly. I'm trapped in a cycle of guilt and despair, unable to escape the memories of my past deeds. It's killing me inside, Sherly. I can't continue to cause this pain upon you, upon anyone else.

You deserve someone who can bring you happiness, someone who doesn't carry the weight of their sins, someone who wasn't the lord of crime, carrying heinous sins on their shoulder. You deserve someone who can love you without fear, without hesitation.

I wish I could be that person for you, but I'm not.

Please know that it's not your fault. You've been nothing but kind and caring, even when I didn't deserve it. But I can't shake the feeling that I'm poison, that anyone who comes too close to me will be tainted by my darkness.

Therefore, tonight will be my last time hurting you. I have drugged your tea hoping that you will be in a slumber when I go out to meet my end, alone.

I'm sorry for leaving you like this, but I hope you can understand that it's for the best. You deserve a chance at happiness, and I can't be the one to give it to you.

Please take care of yourself, Sherly. Don't blame yourself for what happened to me. It's nobody's fault but my own.

Goodbye, my dearest detective. I'll always cherish the memories we shared, even as I fade into the darkness.

Yours forever,
Liam

William couldn't help but burst out into fits of laughter upon reading this letter. He found this rather silly. After he calmed down, he retrieved the matchbox from his drawers and lit one up. William held the letter up and brought the match to meet the paper. William watched as the paper shrank, he then mutter,

"May the thoughts be burnt with the paper"

As the flame went out, the paper was completely gone, burnt. William sighed as he picked up his phone and turned it back on. With his phone in his hand, William walked to the living room where his detective was still sleeping.

He frowned, remembering how he almost permanently hurt his detective. He walked towards him and gently lifted his head up as he sat down and rest the detective's head on his laps.

William smiled as he felt hot tears prickled his eyes. He felt happy, happy that he has abandoned his suicide attempt and come home to the detective. William leaned down as he pressed a kiss to the detective's forehead, cheeks, nose and lips.

He then took his phone and decided to call his brothers.

His call was picked up almost immediately by Albert. William smiled as he greeted his brother.

"William? I thought you are going to sleep?" Albert asked.

William smiled as he shook his head, "I couldn't sleep. I missed you guys too so I figured I could call you, where Louis?" William asked as his younger brother emerged into the screen.

"William! Why are your eyes puffy?! Have you been crying? Is it because of the detective?! If it is I swear I will have a word with him—"

William chuckled as he shook his head. "Sherly didn't do anything, he's here—look!" William lowered his phone so the two brothers could see Sherlock who appeared to be sleeping to them from the screen but in reality, he has been drugged.

"And my tears... I caused them on my own"

Albert softened his gaze. "Do we need to fly to Switzerland?" William thought about it for a while then he nodded. "Please"

Louis and Albert looked at each other and sighed. They must have a bit of understanding. "Do you want to talk about it?" Louis asked, William sighed.

"I guess I shouldn't hide it from you, you two deserve to know..." William quietly muttered.

"Just a an hour ago... I walked to a bridge with one thing in my mind and that is to end my life but... my past self appeared before me and finally shook me back to thinking logically. I'm sorry.."

Louis and Albert started at William from the other side of the screen, completely silent.

"Say something please" William pleaded.

"William. I... why—..what were you... Forget that, we are just glad you are okay" Albert struggled to answer, fearing that his words will hurt his brother.

Louis took a deep breath before responding, his voice filled with concern, "William, we're just glad you're safe now. We're here for you, always. You don't have to face these thoughts alone. We'll book the next flight out to be with you as soon as possible."

"How did you sneak out without Sherlock knowing anyway?" Louis asked. "I drugged him"

"What?!" Louis and Albert asked at the same time. "It's just... I knew Sherlock will give up his life to jump after me again and I can't take his life again in this life.. he's too good for me—"

William paused upon feeling the detective moves on his lap. The drug wore off quicker than expected.

"I have to go, please come here soon" William quickly said his good bye and ended the call. He placed the phone on the table as he paid his attention to the detective who was stirring in his lap.