2

The next morning I woke to the sun beaming in through the windows of the inn. I open my eyes only to close them again, allowing them to adjust to the light before I begin getting ready for the day. I tied my shoes back on and grabbed my bag before walking outside to see how Eva was doing. To my relief, she was still standing and grazing on the grass beneath her. I walked over to her and smiled. "Good morning." I pat her neck. She huffed and continued her grazing.

"She's doing better than yesterday." I hear Link say behind me.

"Yeah, it's all thanks to you." I turn to face him and see him holding two dishes in his hands.

"Here." He hands me one. "I'm sure you're pretty hungry after yesterday."

"I can't accept this, you've done so much already."

"Take it, I don't want it to go to waste."

"Thank you," I say accepting the rice and meat dish.

"Why did you decide to leave home?" He asks as he leans against the hitch to eat his food in between the two horses.

"To explore, travel? I don't know." I say taking a bite of my food. "I didn't want to spend my entire life not seeing the world."

"So why not fully prepare yourself?"

"What do you mean?"

"You have like 5 arrows, food rations for two days which isn't nearly enough to get you to the next nearest stable. Your map is outdated and you don't even have a sword."

"You looked through my things?" I scoff, what gives him the right to snoop through my things?

"More clutter than anything." He takes another bite of his food. "Are you good with a bow?" I shrug.

"My brother taught me a few things." I take another bite of food. "Why do you care?"

"Cause you'll probably end up dead before you can reach the next stable." I frown.

"I think I'd make it." He laughs.

"Yeah, look how you ended up." He finishes up his food and pats his horse. I stay silent as a cool breeze blows by. He was starting to get on my nerves. But I can't say he's wrong. If he hadn't come along both me and Eva would've been stew for those things.

"Are you saying I should go back?"

"No. I'm saying I'm willing to help you out." I raise an eyebrow.

"Really.. you?"

"I don't want to toot my own horn but I was a knight for a brief period."

"Oh really? A knight?" He nods. It wouldn't hurt to learn a few things about how to defend myself or even hunt for food. If I planned to travel alone I'd have to be self-sufficient.

"While Eva's leg heals I'll teach you some basics." I think about it as I take the last few bites of my meal. With the combat knowledge I have right now this is an offer I can't refuse. Especially with some of the monsters travelers talked about. If I could barely fend myself against Bokoblins I'm as good as dead in this world.

"Ok, sounds like a plan."

In the two weeks it took Eva's leg to heal Link taught me the basics of hand-to-hand combat as well as fighting with a sword and shield. I learned how to hunt and skin my meals as well as cook them. He taught me how to make shelters based on my surroundings and the weather. I learned to spearfish and even how to barter for goods. Every day I realized how well inept Link is to the world. From what he had told me he had trained to be a knight but left that to pursue a more simple life as a traveler. He's pretty mysterious aside from that, but he's a good person. I can't imagine why anyone would do all of this for someone unless they were a good soul.

However, the day came when we went our separate ways. I was sad but also happy, I felt ready to go off thanks to Link. I had Eva saddled up and all of my things packed including a new sword and shield courtesy of Link. "Thanks again for everything you've done for us. I wish there was some way I could thank you."

"No need, knowing you're prepared to go off is enough for me." He says. "And who knows, maybe we'll run into each other again."

"I'll tell you about all my adventures." I say as I hop up onto Eva. "Thanks again.

"You're welcome." He smiles. "Take care of each other."

"We will." I smile as I lead Eva to start walking. "Until we meet again!" I wave goodbye. I watch as he waves before turning my attention forward. "Alrighty Eva. This time is for real." I pat her neck and pull my map out. "What will our first stop be?" I ask. I scan the map remembering the stories I had heard from travelers. Zoras Domain I've heard is beautiful but the hike is long and treacherous. Rito Village is too far and cold. Gerudo Village as wonderful as it sounds to be in an all-woman town is a dangerous journey through the desert. And Goron City is.. on a Volcano. I could visit Hyrule Castle, there's a group working with Princess Zelda to try and rebuild and start a new since the Calamity was destroyed. What else is there?

I keep scanning the map as Eva trots along the mountain. Hateno Village I've heard is a wonderful place to visit. It's bustling with activity being one of the most occupied villages, and along the way is Kakariko village, another town that's not being used as a frontier for the new Hyrule. "Alright Eva, we're in for a pretty long trip," I tell her. At least a week's worth of traveling, but I'm sure it will be well worth it for us. Our first real taste of freedom.

Hours go by and we finally make it off the mountain. Up ahead is a large lake filled with clear blue water surrounded by sand. I stare at the water in awe as we trot by. The climate has also changed, it's warmer and it even feels more humid. I pat Eva encouraging her to keep going. "We finally made it off the mountain." I laugh. "Eva this is amazing." I look up at the clear blue sky, soaking in the warmth. This feeling was exhilarating, this is what I imagined flying felt like. It was almost overwhelming how overjoyed I felt. Finally away from home, able to do something I want with my life, not having to listen to anyone else. I can't imagine ever going back.

I checked the map once more as we trotted along making sure to turn at the correct spots. I turn on a bridge and go up what appears to be a very mossy hill. If I turned correctly over the hill should be a stable that Eva and I can stop at for the night. Getting out of Akkala took almost all day and the sun was starting to set. Link told me to try not to be caught on the trails at night. Monsters, Yiga Clan members, and even bandits take advantage of those alone at night. So once I reach the stable I'll settle down for the night and pick up again in the morning.

I took in the weirdly green hill, strange crevices and giant tree trunks were everywhere on this strange hill. Trails that lead down the hill gave me a bad feeling, monsters could be hiding in any of the smaller hills or behind a tall tree waiting for an unsuspecting traveler to kill. Hopefully, I don't have to go this way anytime soon.

As the sky began to darken I could see the stable lights ahead and we sped up our pace to get there faster. Panic had started setting in but now at the stable, I could be at peace. I got off of Eva and hitched her to a fence giving her a few treats for being such a trooper. I looked around outside and saw another person sitting at the fire and I decided to sit beside them and have the food I packed earlier. The man gave a slight wave before taking a sip of his drink.

I smiled back as I sat across from him. I place my bag beside me and rummage through it to find the food I had prepared in Tarrey Town. I take out a bowl of rice and vegetables and start eating. I didn't realize how hungry I was after being on the road all day. I'm sure Eva was exhausted as well. We've never wandered this much in a day. I look over and see her grazing. I take my map out again and scan it to see where I'll be heading tomorrow. Another long trip, but hopefully, we can make it to the next stable. I can even shorten my trip if I cut through Kakariko village and completely skip stopping at a stable. Cutting through there would drastically shorten my trip. I'll take that route tomorrow morning. Once I'm at the base of the mountain I can fish along the river before staying at the village for the night.

I finish up my food and put it away before heading into the sable to get a bed for the night. Tomorrow will be my first full day on my own and although I'm utterly exhausted I can barely contain my excitement for the morning.