3

The next morning I was woken up by the stable staff. I sluggishly got out of bed and gathered my things before heading to Eva and getting her ready for the day. I had an apple for breakfast and gave Eva a carrot as a snack before we headed on our way to Kakariko Village. It wasn't far off and I'll have time to fish before getting into town.

Once I had everything packed I hopped back onto Eva and headed down the trail to Kakariko village. I followed close to the river scanning to find a spot where I could spearfish but nothing along the river suited what I was looking for. I decided to continue along on the trail until I reached the base of the mountain and saw some wetlands with some herons and ducks in the shallow water. "Looks like bird is on the menu tonight." I tell Eva. I was already at the base of the mountain which gave me the entire day to hunt and cook something for dinner.

I made my way over to the water tied, Eva to a tree off the shore, and made my way through a path made of logs. I carefully balanced through the path as some of the logs had come loose and sunk when stepped on. I continue through to a chunk of land raised above the water. I walked over the small hill and surveyed the water for anything that could be dinner. All the animals were on high alert and anytime I came within their field of vision they'd fly off. I kept walking deeper into the wetlands hoping to catch something off guard. With how alert these birds are I doubt I'm the only hunter they've encountered. I decide to walk into the water in hopes of finding some sort of fish, fishing is going to be way more successful than this sad attempt at hunting. I wade through the shallow water making sure to not accidentally step into some slope.

Eventually, I found an area where the water went deeper and a few fish were lingering around. I grabbed an arrow from my quiver that I'll use as a spear. I hold my arrow up aiming it at the small bass waiting for my moment. Occasionally the small fish would jolt to the other side of the small pond. I stare intently at a medium-sized fish that's been sticking mainly to the shore of the pond, hiding between some rocks. I throw the arrow and pull it out smiling at the fish flailing at the end of it. "Good job (Y/n)." I tell myself. I begin my walk back to Eva with my fish in hand.

Once I'm back with Eva I gather some sticks and twigs from the trees nearby and make myself a small fire. While the fire grows I begin de-scaling and gutting the fish. I add a few more sticks to the fire and skewer my fish to cook it.

I hold it over the fire slowly rotating it as I sit on the ground. I look over at Eva who's grazing and drinking from the wetlands. I dig the stuck into the ground angled at the fire as I reach into my bag to get my leftover rice to eat with the fish. I pull a bit of salt Link had given me and sprinkle it over the fish as it cooks.

Once the fish is done I lay it over my rice and begin taking bites of fish and rice. I can't help but smile at myself as I eat the bland fish, the feeling of being self-sufficient fills me with such pride as I eat beside these wetlands. This is true freedom.

I stare off at the water as I enjoy my meal. I listen to the crackling of the fire and the wind whistling through the trees. Once I finish I clean up my area and put the fire out before heading over to Eva so we can continue our journey up the mountain.

We get to Kakariko village not too late afternoon. I wander around the village stocking up on supplies and resting. I take in the full glory of this quaint mountain village. It's like nothing I've seen before, the community feels so tight-knit. How I'd love to live somewhere like this. I walk into the inn to try and book a bed for tonight. The woman at the front desk doesn't look up at me as I walk up to the front. "Sorry, we're booked for the night." She says staring down at something on the desk.

"Booked?" I ask.

"Yes, booked. Sorry for the inconvenience." She says. I sigh as I walk back out and walk over to Eva.

"Looks like they're booked up Eva." I tell her. "What do you think we should do?" She huffs in response. I look up at the sky. "It's still early. We could probably camp out for the night." I say. "Or do you think we could make it by tonight?" I ask. "Nah, let's play it safe." I tell her as I start untying her from the hitch. I pat her neck and mount her then continue on our way out of the village.

We continue down the path out of the village and down the other side of the mountain. We cross an old stone bridge, skip the stable nearby, and head through the path to Hateno Village. I stopped at Fort Hateno. It was amazing to see this place in person, even if it was crumbling apart. I can't imagine how the soldiers who fought here felt as they defended this place. A year or so ago after Ganon was defeated people started clearing up the old guardians from around Hyrule. If I had come here earlier I probably would've been able to see some of them. Maybe I'll see some of the ones they haven't gathered up for parts yet.

I take a while to admire the stones, seeing where the guardians struck and the prints of the claws still left on the bricks. I can almost feel the fear and rage left behind. "Oh Eva." I pat her neck. "I'm glad I was born after all this." I tell her and look at the map again while we continue up the trail. I stop her when I see a cottage beside us. I look down at the map again and realize I probably won't find a better spot to stop for the night. "Our lucky night." I say heading towards the cabin before hopping off of Eva and tying her outside. I take her saddle off and place it beside her before grabbing my lamp and bags and then heading inside. I slowly open the door to the abandoned cottage and peek inside. It's as dusty and decrepit as I'd expect, but it's indoors and there's a bed so I can't complain.

I grab a small night table and drag it beside the bed to place my lantern on it. I shake off the dust and from the bed to place my sleeping bag on it. I sit down on the bed and rummage through my bag for my leftovers from earlier. I sit in the dimly lit cottage as I eat my food. I stayed silent, enjoying the food as I looked around the cabin. A few books were on the shelves but more were scattered on the ground. Cobwebs were dangling around the ceiling, some old silverware and dining set was on the dining table. Whatever food was left on it was turned to a black dusty stain. Whoever lived here left in a rush. A few paintings were falling off the wall, paintings of what I'm guessing is a family. I can't tell under all the dust.

I finish my bowl of rice and fish and place it in my bag to wash tomorrow morning. I close up my bag for the night and lay back on the bed. I turn and turn the lantern off before closing my eyes. I began to hear the sound of rain pattering on the roof abs dripping down the sides of the cottage. I take a deep breath letting the sound of the rain drift me off to sleep.