Chapter 6 - Cupid's Missile

Bold: Time/Location
Italic: Character Thoughts/Internal Monologue
Underline: Author's Note(s)

Arena 3 - No POV

The impact Cecilia anticipated never came, at least not as hard as she thought. At the last minute before impact with the ground, she felt her body move and something metal grasp onto her, pulling her into a roll. Feeling the impact and skidding across the ground, Cecilia clenched her eyes shut, her body shaking in terror from the near-death experience. After a brief moment that seemed like a lifetime to her, she opened her eyes, not sure what she would find when she did. Greeting her closely was the armor of the Black Eagle mere inches from her face. Still mortified, she looked around to get a better idea of what had happened, observing a trail embedded in the ground from the fall. Looking forward and below her was James staring at her with his helmet's glowing blue eyes. His arms were wrapped tightly around Blue Tears, and he had clearly put himself underneath her shortly before the impact which caused the massive line in the ground. While she stared into his faceplate, suddenly all the emotions of worry raging inside her had vanished. She felt relieved, and safe, though there was something else she couldn't quite put her finger on.

She heard the arena speakers announce "The match is concluded. Winner: Ichika Orimura and James Riker." She cursed herself mentally for allowing this defeat to occur. "Are you unharmed Ms. Alcott?" the robotic voice asked, but not as loud as it was during the match. Cecilia simply stared at him, mouth agape and a blatant blush on her face. The moment that lasted minutes to her was broken when she realized that they were in a rather provocative position. "I....I...." was all she managed to get out. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she tried again "You...saved me?" James nodded and responded "Despite evidence to the contrary, that was my intent." James gently grabbed her IS by the shoulders and lifted her up onto her feet, getting off of his back into an upright position. Standing up himself, the duo deactivated their suits. Her vision briefly doubled due to being dizzy from the traumatic event. As she lost her balance and prepared to hit the ground, she once again felt a pair of arms wrap around her, but this wasn't like the first time. It was soft, secure, and comforting. No real sense of danger attached. Tilting her head up to see James looking down at her, something about his stern face and bright blue eyes spoke to her without the need for words.

"Please Ms. Alcott, allow me to escort you to the infirmary. You should be checked for any serious damage I may have caused." he said to her. Cecilia noted something about his tone. It was unlike what she had previously witnessed from her prior interactions with him. He seemed worried, less distant and confident than he usually was. "James..." she stated his name to herself. "Can you walk?" he asked her. "I...no, I don't quite believe I can..." replying in her deep British accent even though she wasn't dizzy anymore, her face turning a deep shade of pink. "What was that?! I almost said yes!" scolding herself in her head, unsure why she told him she couldn't. "Very well, I will carry you to the infirmary." He placed his metal hand behind her back and his other below her legs, lifting her into his arms bridal-style. With the audience watching, she felt extremely embarrassed but also relieved and gratified. Looking up at her hero, she noticed James was not at all flustered or embarrassed by his display like she was. Ichika flew over to them in Byakushiki, dematerializing it as he reached their location. "That fight was intense James! Your IS is a total beast!" yelled Ichika in excitement. "Ms. Alcott requires medical attention, I will be transporting her to the infirmary." he told Ichika, not even acknowledging the compliment he received. "Really? Are you okay Cecilia?" he asked her. "I'm not quite sure just yet..." she softly responded. James proceeded to walk with her in his arms out of the arena. On his way out, he called to Ichika as he carried the defeated representative contender. "I would like to have a word with you later, Mr. Orimura."