3: Scarlet Milk

"Come on, we don't have all night." You check your nails as the first person comes up to the window.

"How are you?" Mia Stone says. You recognize her from earlier today. Her short blonde hair and sweet demeanor are easy to identify. She seems different, though. She stares at you blankly, almost scared.

"Fine. You're all good." You press the unlock button and send her on her way. She looks relieved.

"Hey." It's Francis again. There's something glistening on his hands when he puts his ID and entry request in the slot.

"Woah. Are you okay?"

"Mmm? Oh." He looks down at himself. He's covered head to toe in blood. He looks completely unbothered, though. "We're experimenting with a new kind of milk."

"Really?" You stare blankly, not buying a word he's saying.

"Scarlet milk."

"Ah." He's on the list for tonight, and everything else is in order.

He laughs. "This doesn't look good, does it?"

"Nope." You eye the emergency button. He must've caught you, because his tired eyes widen. He wasn't striking up conversation earlier.

"I'll let you in if you let me try some of that scarlet milk, deal?" You joke. You glance down at the checklist, all checked off except for an erased X over appearance.

His eyes soften, relieved. "Got it. I'll go clean up before I scare anyone else."

You breathe and nod, pressing the unlock button. Mosses leaves for his apartment. There's a pit in your stomach, but you ignore it, taking it as exhaustion. Your work continues on until 4 o'clock, when the shift switches. You're only doorman on the weekends and Wednesdays. 

The next doorman enters in a uniform matching yours, shutting the door gently behind her. She's wide-eyed with light ginger hair.

"First day?" You ask, unwrapping a granola bar that you found on the ground. It's probably yours.

"Yeah. Do you have any more of those?" She points to your breakfast.

"Maybe." You look down, and fish one up off the ground. She looks a little disturbed when you hold it out to her, but she ultimately takes it and sits in the other chair, queuing up the instructional video. You finally catch a glimpse of her nametag.

"Roxanne?"

"Yeah. Roxy's fine, too." She mutters, not taking her eyes off the video.

You stand up. "Alright. I'm gonna go. My number's on the wall if you need me."

She nods, and you take that as a goodbye, leaving the office for your apartment.

You stomp up the stairs, wanting nothing more than to spend all day sleeping. However, when you reach the third floor, you spot Francis Mosses outside his apartment. You've been seeing a lot of him lately. He's hanging a Christmas wreath on his door.

"Hey." He turns around, hearing you.

"Hey. You look a lot better."

He laughs. "Yeah. My job can get messy. Thanks for believing me. Who knows what they do to those doppels." He winced, remembering something. "News got around about your report yesterday."

"Oh." That's why Mia looked like I was pointing a gun at her. I might as well have.

He changes the subject quickly. "Mia told me about a Christmas party tomorrow. Are you going?"

You deadpan. "She didn't mention it."

"Mmm." He straightens out the wreath on his door. "You can come with me. She doesn't hate you, does she?"

"Not that I know of." You lie. Mia's the sweetest person in the world, as you've heard. She probably wasn't too fond of hearing that you killed 3 innocent people. "Would you really take me with you?"

"I owe you for trusting me last night."

You laugh. "Right. Okay, I'll see you later."

He was probably just being polite, but you can't help feeling your heart flutter as you walk down the hallway. Suddenly, your energy was palpable.

im listening to hamilton while im writing this

i js thought you should know <3