Potato Practice

You practice how to manoeuvre your wand by toying with your fork in your mashed potatoes. Wingardium Leviosa. You think to yourself as you refresh your swish and flick—if only Potions could be as easy as Charms class. Frankly, after the yelling Snape gave you today in Potions because of a failed amortentia, it's no wonder you're playing with your food instead of eating.

Petrificus Totalus. As you pretend to paralyze your potatoes, you sense someone watching you. Your throat tightens as you close your eyes—you should have guessed: costing Slytherin ten points is just about the last way to make friends in your house. Taking a deep breath, you drop your fork and look up, trying to pinpoint who exactly is staring at you.

When you spot who it is, you feel as though you were your potatoes after you cast Petrificus Totalus. Staring at you unblinkingly is none other than Draco Malfoy: Prince of Slytherin, master of Potions, and the last person you want on your bad side. Try as you might to maintain at least some of your dignity, you end up breaking eye contact first and when you do, you can't help but grab your belongings and dash out of the Great Hall as quickly as you can.

Who knows what terrible things the known bully of Hogwarts would do with the only Slytherin with in his year who lost house points? As you sprint, you hear distant murmurs as Draco's friends wonder why he was staring at you, but you don't stay long enough to hear Draco's no doubt belittling comments.

"(Y/n)! (Y/n), wait up!" Hermione Granger—excelling in every subject, Gryffindor, one of Draco Malfoy's number 1 enemies, and coincidentally, one of your best friends—and the witch who called you. Just as you pass the giant doors, you screech to a halt, waiting for your friend and trying to formulate an excuse why you left.

"(Y/n)...." Hermione pants, holding onto her knees out of exhaustion. "Where are you...going...?"

"What? Oh, me? I'm...um...just...going to practice making amortentia. I don't want a repeat of today. Or worse...." You add with a smile and a dramatic pause. "A howler." Hermione shakes her head and laughs, but she seems to have regained her breath without all the worry that made her chase you in the first place.

"No, we certainly wouldn't want that. You know, if you need help with anything, you can always ask. After all, you're the only reason I understood that spell...."

"Oh, please." You jokingly roll your eyes, but smile reassuringly. "It was an advanced spell and you would have gotten it in less than a week." Hermione opens her mouth as if to argue, but you keep going. "Besides, the only way to get good at Potions is by practicing a lot. It could take hours...."

"Besides," A familiar voice responds from behind you and you instantly stiffen. "She's already got a Potions partner, haven't you, (y/n)?"

"I...." You try to respond, but nothing else comes out all the while Hermione stares at you as though you're being kidnapped.

"Come now, we wouldn't want to keep the classroom waiting." Draco adds, smirking as he grabs you by your wrist and leads you towards Potions class.

Ahhhh! My first ever published fanfic! Let me know if ya'll like the format or if you want to see certain characters come up...or really, just let me know anything. I'm so nervous!

~Ray