Dungeon Disaster

As Draco drags you down the stairs, you start to gather your senses. An awful lot of Slytherins—among other houses—would be jealous of you right now. After all, being dragged to a dark room with the notorious Draco Malfoy wasn't exactly common, but neither were these circumstances. Losing a few points in other houses might get you ignored or scolded, but in Slytherin: house of the cunning and ambitious? Well, let's just say that whatever Draco has in mind isn't going to be fun—especially after you were talking to one of the Golden Trio. Digging your feet into the ground, you pull on his arm until he stops to face you.

 "Listen, I know I messed up today, but I really was going to practice. It won't happen again and I'll...." You pause to think of a good enough excuse for him to let you go. "I'll try harder in Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I'll earn enough points to make up for this in a week—tops."

"You don't get it, do you?" Draco asks you, his eyes darting across your face, making you lose all the confidence you once had. Angry Draco you can handle—you're not fond of him that way, but you can handle it. When he's quiet and questioning in a situation where he's supposed to be angry? That makes you clench your teeth as you struggle to maintain eye contact—you refuse to be the first to look away this time.

"Get what?" Your voice is fainter than you'd like, but at least you're maintaining eye contact—a feat that isn't easy when Draco's entire focus is on you. The edges of Draco's mouth twitches and if you hadn't hurt your house's reputation, you might have claimed he smiled.

"Who is the best student in our Potions class?" He asks and you raise an eyebrow in confusion. "Aside from Granger." He adds with a spiteful tone that you can't tell if it's directed at you or Hermione.

"You are." You answer, looking around, and half expect a passing ghost to save you from this question game.

"Yes, but who should be?" He asks, leaning towards you, eyes staring intently into yours—if this is a joke, you're not laughing. It's true that while Draco is known for his intelligence, he often ranks third in classes with Hermione in first and you in second. You squint at the man in front of you—surely, he doesn't want you to answer that, does he?

"What are you getting at, Draco?"

"You're talented, (y/n), and I'm glad to beat you in any subject, but winning because you can't make a simple amortentia? That's embarrassing for all of us. Don't misunderstand, (y/n). I'm going to beat you, but I'm going to do so because of my skill and not because of your incompetency." You raise an eyebrow as you practice deep breathing. There he is: the smug, angry Draco you know so well. "Therefore, I'll be tutoring you until you master this absolutely basic potion."

"Did it ever occur to you, Malfoy, that I don't want your help? That I haven't been competing with you? That maybe my own studies are enough to focus on without having to worry about everyone else? Maybe, just maybe, my world doesn't revolve around you and that one mistake doesn't make me a failure? My textbook and I will do just fine without you—thank you very much." You rant, ripping your arm away from his hand as you glare at the wizard in front of you. Potions genius or not, what gives him the right to talk to you like that? Draco glances at his now empty hand in disbelief before scanning your face, looking for an explanation—you're probably one of the few people who have ever stood up to him.

"I...." He starts, his voice weak, but he soon clears his throat and stands up taller, making an effort to compose himself. "I will see you here tomorrow at the same time for our first lesson." You cross your arms as you raise your eyebrow, challenging him. He can't be serious. "Potions aren't about textbooks: they're about results—just like spells. You can't focus on the steps: your only concern should be what you create. To make a proper amortentia, you have to imagine the person you love falling in love with you. You have to think about how they'd say your name with fondness...." Draco lists, closing his eyes for a moment as he smiles. "How their lips would feel when pressed against yours for the first time...." He continues, opening his eyes as he stares at your lips, his own mouth opening slightly as his eyes glaze over with a softness you've never seen—or perhaps just never noticed—before.

"Draco...?" You ask softly—all the anger you once felt vanishing at the sight of Draco so distracted—after a few moments of silence. He inhales sharply as if pulled back to reality as his posture stiffens and he clamps his mouth shut. Your curiosity keeps you staring, but Draco seems far too interested in looking anywhere other than you—could he be blushing?

"Tomorrow then." He nods as he rushes past you up the stairs. "See you, (y/n)." He calls to your feet, still avoiding making eye contact as he soon disappears from your line of sight.

Standing in the dungeons a while longer, you stare at the wall as you try to process what just happened. He was angry with you—wasn't he? He called you incompetent and said you embarrassed him—surely, he couldn't be please with you. Then again, he did say you were talented and what he said when he spoke about amortentia—what he did—that couldn't be described as negative, could it? Groaning, you run your hand over your face before exhaling and making your way up the stairs Draco sprinted to moments ago. As confusing as Draco could be, you knew one thing for sure: you'd have plenty to talk about with the Golden Trio.

Hi! Sorry this took so long and that you fight and ahhhhhh! (Don't worry, it'll get fluffier soon--I solemnly swear.) There were heaps of technical problems on my part, but I think most of them are sorted so the next update should be sooner? Maybe? Thanks for all your support! You're the best <3

~Ray