Staring Sessions

Glancing back and forth between your Potions textbook and your scroll, you transcribe a recipe for hair regrowth when Professor Snape pauses his lecture to look down at your work. Without a word, you grab one of the scrolls you set aside, opening it, and pointing to the notes you wrote for this lecture ahead of time. Being friends with Hermione Granger meant a lot of trips to the library and when you're ahead of homework and studying, you have a tendency to read ahead—in this case, several weeks ahead. Severus scans a few sentences, his lips twitching into a smile before nodding at you and carrying on with his lesson. The first time he noticed you weren't taking notes on his current lesson, he tried to trick you with a question that he hadn't taught to the class yet. When you answered that question and posed a few of your own, he knew better than to challenge you, which might be why he's so disappointed when you failed at creating an amortentia—outsmarting Snape means there's a certain standard you're expected to uphold.

"Mr. Malfoy, if my lesson is boring you then perhaps you'd care to tell the class the next ingredient in this blister-swelling potion?" Snape challenges, which must mean the rest of the class is behaving especially well—it's not like the Draco "Potions Master" Malfoy would slack off in his favourite class. "Unless you find the back of Y/N's head to be more interesting." You drop your quill and turn to see your tutor—terrified—while his face darts to his potion partner who shrugs in response. Figures.

"Dittany, sir...?" Draco answers and you bite your lip as a few students giggle and Snape's face darkens with disappointment. Though he has no qualms with punishing other houses, Professor Snape is just as hurt as any Slytherin when points are docked—especially when a top pupil's to blame. Draco looks to you, hoping for some sort of confirmation that he's right but when he notices your expression, his face pales and the nearby giggles turn to all-out laughter. You close your eyes, breathe deeply then shove all your supplies off your desk, stopping everyone in their tracks.

"Sorry." You announce to the class as you withdraw your wand, glaring pointedly at the snickering students whose eyes widen before they return their focus to their textbooks. "I was looking for my toothache curing potion notes when...well, that happened." You lie as you swoop all your supplies back into their spots in one motion of your wand. Draco's eyes dart across your face, looking for an explanation while Snape raises an eyebrow—both of them knowing you'd sooner lose your limbs than your notes.

"Sir...." You call to Snape as you lean against your desk, snatch this lesson's notes and hide them in your hand before walking towards Snape, pausing next to Draco's desk and passing Malfoy your notes. "Did you know that the blister-swelling potion doesn't necessarily need any ingredients after that step? You could always charm the cauldron to self-regulate its temperature, which would take away the need for the next ingredient. In other words...." You pause, turning to Malfoy with a pointed glance at the notes you set in front of Malfoy before continuing. "You meant "didn't add any" instead of dittany, right, Draco?"

You stare at Professor Snape, waiting for him to stop your blatant excuses, but instead, the corners of his lips twitch upwards and he nods at you once more before turning to Draco for an answer. You sigh in relief as you look back to your desk, wondering if it'd be all right for you to return to your seat when you notice your lab partner staring at you with wide eyes and an open mouthed smile. You raise an eyebrow at your partner, hoping for a silent explanation, but when a few seconds pass, you turn to face Draco. Draco Malfoy has the best grades in Potions for a reason—other than being Snape's favourite of course—so when Draco ignores Snape to stare at you in open-mouthed silence, your fists tighten in worry.

"Draco...?" You ask softly, your eyes darting across his face for some sort of explanation as you lean towards him. He'd tell me if something were wrong, wouldn't he? Maybe you were too proud trying to intervene, maybe you've been friends with the trio too long not to try to save someone, or maybe your inner Slytherin just had enough with the nearby snickering. No matter the reason, you wait for your potions tutor to respond, but when he doesn't you take a tentative step closer and gently touch his arm. "Are you okay?" The moment you touch, Draco's eyes widen as he looks up at you, his eyes darting from your eyes to your lips then to your hand on his arm. He isn't mad, is he? Maybe you really should've just sat down while you had the chance. That might be why your lab partner was so surprised: no one touches Draco Malfoy—not even a fellow slytherin.

"Excuse me, dear?" Draco asks as if he didn't hear you as he slowly blinks up at you with a kind smile. Without thinking, you return the smile and Draco's smile widens a bit as puts his hand over yours, holding you to his arm. In that moment, your heartbeat quickens and you wonder if it's really because you're worried about him or if it's something more. Before you have time to think about it, someone clears their throat and your hand tightens around his arm, making Draco's eyes lower in concern. The throat clearing turns to whispering and before you know it, a few Ravenclaws and far too many Gryffindors are pointing at the two of you as they exchange stories.

"Professor." You start although it comes out more as a squeak. Shaking your head, you rip your hand away as you turn to face Snape. "Judging by his use of the word "dear", it seems Mr. Malfoy isn't feeling well. Might I escort him to see Madam Pomfrey?" You ask, barely making eye contact with your professor as every second that passes screams at you to run before you become even more embarrassed. Sure, your heart is jumping so high it wouldn't need a broom in a quidditch match and yeah, maybe your cheeks are growing redder than Gryffindor's banner, but what's that have to do with Draco? Honestly, what business would the prince of Slytherin have calling you a petname? He must be sick or tired—or maybe even messing with you—because that soft gaze of his couldn't have been meant for you. The trust in his tone must have been a fluke—just like your reaction because there's no way you like Draco Malfoy and more importantly, there's no way he could like you.

As you stand, staring at the door, clenching and unclenching your fists, a soft yet firm hand grabs hold of yours. Instinctively squeezing both your hands, you look up to find Draco pulling you towards the door with a sympathetic smile. Throwing a glance over your shoulder, you realize the lesson is already underway and by the time you look forward, you're already in the dungeon hallway. Exhaling for the first time in what feels like hours, you pause to regulate your breathing only to feel a comforting squeeze against one of your hands.

"Thanks." You whisper as you look at the boy in front of you with hair swooping in front of his eyes. Slowly, you reach out and brush aside the silky strands as you gently touch his forehead before sharing a small smile. His temperature's about as normal as it can get in a dungeon, but if he were not sick then why else would he call you a petname? Swallowing, you drop your gaze as you try to formulate your thoughts. "You're...um...we're...."

"Y/N. He calls to you barely louder than a whisper as he steps towards you, closing what little gap was left between you, making you lift your gaze. "You don't look very good. Are you feeling okay?" He asks; this time he's the one to check your temperature and at the mere touch of his hand against your forehead, you feel heat flooding to your face. His eyes drop to yours as he waits for an answer. His breaths dance across your face, his silvery apple scent spreads over your entire body, and—you look down to make sure—his hand is still firmly holding yours. As you slowly looking up, your head brushes against his chest and Draco doesn't seem to notice just how close you are as his eyes dart across your face with concern. That's when it hits you. What was once Draco's white shirt is now the dungeon walls and even they are disappearing fast as your head hits you like the Hogwarts Express and your stomach lurches from the impact. Somewhere in the distance, there's a strong slam of skin crashing against your back before your vision turns to black and your thoughts follow suit.

Hahaha whoops it's been three months. My bad. Thank you all for being so patient: you're all the best (and hilarious by the way, your comments keep me going). This one had some Snape as a special request but I've heard you want more Weasley twins, some Luna, and maybe Ginny? I figure next chapter will be a good way of saying "HEY, THIS IS WHAT YOU AND DRACO ARE RELATIONSHIP-WISE AND WHAT YOU WANT TO BECOME AND ALSO HERE'S WHAT YOUR FRIENDS THINK" in a less all-caps and screaming in your face kind of way, you know? Anyways, thanks again and take care, you cuties <3

~Ray