Chapter 4:

And you did

And you did.

It was like a back room of some kind of laboratory. You found their extra supplies and broken machinery. You sort of trailed behind the men keeping a huge distance. Luckily all the items and low light hid your presence.

You followed them until they got to a set of large doors. They pushed the doors open. Inside you could see a giant lab. Plants of all sorts of biomes inside. Separated by type. Even from your hiding spot, you gawked at the sight. Now this was the type of lab you wished you had. You shook your head and focused back on the situation.

The doors had closed, making it impossible to enter without gathering attention. 'I need to figure out what that symbol means...' You thought as you searched around for a way to peek inside the room. These could be the people responsible for your fathers death. You had to know.

'There's nothing, not even a small hole in the wall to peek through.' You hastily looked around. Trying to hurry just in case you'd get spotted. You looked up and saw a giant vent, you could fit in. you just had to figure out how to reach it. You hummed to yourself wondering what you should do, when you caught sight of a table just about tall enough. You pushed the table closer. Stepping onto it as you pulled off the cover of the vent. "Can I even pull myself up..." you whispered to yourself.

Okay maybe you weren't the most active person or at least the strongest but you should be able to...

You tried a couple of times but struggled. Getting halfway up each time. It wasn't until you heard footsteps from outside the room that you were able to find enough strength on time. Sighing with relief when they walked away from the room. You crawled through the vents. Winding through the twists and turns. Eventually stopping at one that hung above the giant lab room. You stared in amazement as you watched a few scientists walk around.

You knew these guys might be your enemy but you couldn't help the fascination in their equipment. The three men you followed inside were in there as well. Not as a scientist but as guards. Even still, they looked relaxed. Almost as though they had nothing to worry about.

You decided to crawl a bit more, finding a vent that led to a secluded room connected to the lab. The door to the lab was closed and the lights were dimmed. Like it was a personal office but the person who belonged there was gone. Taking a deep breath, you pull the vent open. Dropping yourself into the room.

All was quiet. You couldn't even hear anything from the other room. Only the buzzing of the grow lights on a few plants in the room. You found a bulletin board next to a workbench. You stared at it in confusion. Almost like it was a board someone would make for solving a mystery. You found an image of the symbol the guards wore. And at closer look, it was just like the one that murdered your dad.

You felt dread wash through you, what is this group?

You read the papers on the board.

'Huge breakthrough for a group of scientists.' Was the title of the first paper, a cut off picture of your father and another man was on it.