10- "Rest"

⚠️- Trigger Warning.

"Hey" Dougie whispered and held out his hand to help her stand up. He glimpsed at the scars again but didn't continue to look at them.

"Hi" She replied quieter.

"I know you worried about Tom but don't be" Dougie said, watching her sit on the bed, he sat next to her, "I'm sure he'll be fine and if he starts, you know, just let one of us know" He said and then added in the same breathe, "but not James"

"Why?"

"Just- I wouldn't, we don't need a fight" He replied. Britney didn't want that, she was going to say she would leave but Dougie asked, while looking at the walls, "Your sanctuary?"

"Huh" she laughed, she knew that they would all be asking, "yes, it makes me feel safe... I just love no matter what happened I can look at them and feel safe, it's like they're watching over me..." She trailed off, "My mum used to say that to me... That one was hers" Britney pointed to the Busted poster. "She gave it to me when I was younger, I think I had a nightmare but I can't quite remember" She frowned.

Dougie waited before he asked his question, "What did you say to Matt?"

"Thank you, for everything... all of your music, even Charlie's helped me through tough times. I wasn't around to hear all of Busted's music. I get my taste of music from my mum" She laughed, "I think you helped her the most" She smiled, it was a sad smile. A very sad smile. She laughed a little, "She used to play the songs during her- I loved seeing her smile when listening to McFly, Busted..." She trailed off the tear finally spilling down her face. Dougie pulled her into a hug.
"It wasn't enough, we weren't enough" He whispered, she heard and lifted her head off his shoulder to look at him, he reached for her arm. Britney shook her head and placed her head back on his shoulder. Britney hadn't realise how bad her scars were but they were covered by new ones from the glass. No one had ever pointed them out before and she wasn't used to the attention.

They sat for a moment, Dougie felt like a big brother to her already. He wondered if she had this effect on everyone. But he knew she didn't, she didn't have that effect on her father, not even Tom. Dougie knew Tom would come around. He hoped he would, she couldn't stay here if so, or he wouldn't be able to stay here. Dougie knew that they had all grown to like her, care for her. They all wanted Tom to get along with her. This was her sanctuary, they were her sanctuary.

"I think you need to get some rest" Dougie said softly, he could hear Britney's breathing slowing down and evening out, "You know where I am if you need me..."

"Thank you" Britney said again watching him stand up.

"Danny saw too...." He trailed off, he wasn't sure if he should of told her.

"Where's his room?"

"At the end of the hall, he's got the bigger room" Dougie laughed, then stopped and said, "He wants to talk to you about... but I don't think he knows how. But you can talk more tomorrow" He smiled.

"I'm at college tomorrow"

"No, you deserve a day off, it's safer if you stay here" Dougie said, he admired her courage. He pulled her into a hug and she nodded into his chest.

"Sorry" She said.

"What for?"

"Ease dropping"

"It's fine, I would too if I knew they were talking about me" He laughed, which made Britney laugh, "Come on, get some sleep" He smiled, giving her one last squeeze and then turned to held for the door.

"Can you leave the door open, please?"

"Sure" Dougie smiled. He didn't want to ask why, she had been bombarded with questions. Britney liked having her door open, it made her feel less alone, she wasn't afraid of the dark, she was afraid of being alone.

Britney still sat on the edge of her bed for a minute or two, she had no idea where she was going or what she was doing. She was left alone with her thoughts. The light from the hallway switched off and she was left in the dark. Britney wondered if her father had called the police, was he out looking for her, was he trying to recover the burnt paper. Or, just like when her mum left, was he sitting on his arse drinking away the rest of the day?

Britney crawled into bed, she ached everywhere, she wondered if she needed to go to the hospital about the cuts and her burst stitches, but somehow she knew James would of took her there straight away.