First Encounter

Another day, another early morning. It's 9am and I'm making breakfast for myself right now. Thankfully it was a Saturday so I didn't need to worry so much about running to school. I finish making a cup of coffee and take a sip out of the piping hot mug. I made it a little sweet, just to make sure it didn't taste like crap. I then finished making breakfast and sat down at the counter, taking a bite out of my food. As I chew, I turn the TV on, watching the news. Most of the time, the news was boring, but I was more interested in the Ghoul sightings section of the news. 

Recently, the CCG had discovered that there was a giant faction of Ghouls who call themselves the "Aogiri Tree". Ever since this discovery, Ghoul activity has increased across all the Wards. Though I have a feeling that the CCG knew more than they told the public. I couldn't blame them for that. There are some things better left unknown. 

I take another bite out of my food, still watching the TV. So far, nothing interesting. Until... 

TV: According to the CCG, everyone should be on the lookout for a black gooey substance. If you see anything resembling this, run. Don't get anywhere near it and don't call for help. If this does make contact with you, the CCG have advised a full quarantine. That is all they had to say. 

A frown comes to my face. "A black gooey substance"? I thought the CCG focused only on Ghouls. I shake my head and take a sip out of my coffee. 

I savour and enjoy the rest of my breakfast before I start to clean up. However, I accidentally slide my plate off the counter. I drop down to try and catch it, but to my shock, a black goop grabs the plate right before it shattered! My eyes widen as I look at the black goop and raise my arm. The goo places the plate gently down on the counter before retracting back into my arm! 

Mutasim: What the hell...? W-What is...

Thinking back to the news on the TV, I turn back to the TV and rewind it. When I got back to the CCG section, I listened carefully to the news. That gooey substance matched exactly what was on me! 

Mutasim: What the hell is this thing? Hold on... 

I stand behind the counter and turn to a cupboard in the far corner of my kitchen. I stretch my hand out to it and as if reading my mind, the goo shoots out as tendrils, grabbing the cupboard handle and pulling it open! While it creeped me out, I couldn't help but be amazed by it. But that just raised the question... What is this thing? 

I shake my head and use the tendrils to close the cupboard. The tendrils retract and I pull out my phone, checking the time. It was 10:15am. My shift at Anteiku started in about an hour's time. The sooner I left, the better. 

Right when I was about to head into my room to get changed, my body became coated in the black goo. I look down, confused, until I see my attire had changed. As opposed to wearing my pajamas, I now wore a plain black t-shirt and jeans. These clothes fit me perfectly! Like they were tailored to my size! 

Mutasim: I could get used to this. 

I exit my apartment and head down to the street. With a smile on my face, I begin walking to Anteiku. Somehow, I felt a lot better. More energetic and eager to just do literally anything. Seriously, I think this goo thing just made things so much better for me. 

I was about to reach the train station until I caught the sight of a man with short purple hair. A sense of dread and unease overcame me upon seeing the figure. He wore plain pale pants and a purple suit. I wasn't sure why I felt so... uneasy, but I knew I just had to stay away from him. Weirdly enough, I also felt like I was being watched. 

Once again, as if reading my mind, the black goo created a hood for me which covered my face. I enter the train station and get onto the first train. However, the cart I entered was pretty much empty which was strange. Nearly all the time, all the train carts were full. I sit down on a seat and wait as the train moves. 

As I sit, I notice out of the corner of my eye, a lone figure watching me. They were drooling and sniffed the air like a hungry dog which made me feel uncomfortable. I do my best to ignore it, but it persists for another five minutes. A low sigh leaves my lips as I turn to him. 

Mutasim: Sir, I don't want to be rude but could you stop staring at me like that? It's a little unnerving. 

No response. In fact, the person just seemed to get a little more excited and the saliva continued to build up, creeping me out even more. Making matters even worse, the person stands and takes a few steps towards me, a faint red glow emanating from behind him! My eyes widen and I quickly stand up, backing away from the figure. The train reaches the next station and the doors open, but there's no doors behind or beside me! 

After a minute, the doors close and the train resumes moving. Almost immediately, the person in front of me revealed a large pair of blue wings as their eyes turn black and red! He was a Ghoul! Feathers fire at me, but I feel my right arm shoot up and a black goo shield appears, protecting me! The feathers my shield absorbed then fire right back at the Ghoul, stabbing him in multiple spots. The shield vanished and was replaced by multiple giant tendrils which fired out towards the Ghoul, blasting him to the other end of the train cart. 

Mutasim: Holy crap...! This is... Intense! And awesome! 

I remark as the tendrils retract back into my body. The Ghoul stands back up, growling in anger. As a last ditch effort, they charge towards me, roaring like a maniac. Both my arms become enveloped in black tendrils and I swing my left fist at his face. I feel his jaw break upon contact and he spins around to face behind him. I then thrust my right fist at his lower back, breaking his spine! He howls in agony from the force of the punch. Instinctively, I feel my left arm wrap around the Ghoul's head and crush it, killing the Ghoul! The body falls to the ground and my arms return to normal. 

Mutasim: D-Did I just... Kill a Ghoul? 

I question, shocked and looking at my own hands. My hands shook from the experience. Everyone else that encounters Ghouls are either Investigators or other Ghouls. Anyone who isn't trained or anything are killed. But I just... 

The train reaches the next stop, snapping me out of my shock. I wipe my face and run out of the train, leaving behind the bloody mess and corpse. I make my way straight to Anteiku, hoping to just get this day over with. 

But I feared that this was just the beginning of my problems...