Chapter 2

The vet bills hit Leigh's bank account way harder than she's willing to admit.

She knew taking care of pets could get pricey, but she thought that was just for those on their last leg, like Matt's dog, Rogue. Facing those steep costs made her think twice about turning down Drew's offer a while back to bring back her advice column. So, she calls him up as soon as she pays up a quarter of the charges on her credit card for Visitor's medical expenses.

Drew answers on the second ring. "Hey Leigh, what's up?"

Leigh doesn't beat around the bush. She never has to with her best friend. "Can we meet at the cafe? I need to talk to you about something."

"Sure. Be there in 20," Drew replies right away.

The coffee shop they frequent is a small local business that specializes in cold brews. Leigh's favorite thing about it is not the coffee though, but its interior: mismatched chairs, bookshelves lining the wall, and the temperature that's always just right. Leigh arrives first, securing their favorite table near the window. Drew walks in a few minutes later, coffee already in hand, and greets her with a warm smile.

"Okay, spill. What's going on?" Drew asks as he takes a seat.

"I've been thinking... about the column. I was wrong to turn it down. I want back in."

The look of utter surprise on his face tells Leigh this was the last thing he expected. She senses his response won't be a straightforward yes.

"I'd be thrilled to have you back, Leigh, I really would—"

"But?" Leigh cuts in. She doesn't need to hear a bullshit 'it's not you, it's me' excuse. She wishes Drew would just be as direct with her as she is with him.

Drew lets out a sigh. Under different circumstances, saying no to Leigh would be as easy as declining an upsell from a McDonald's cashier. However, ever since Leigh became a widow, rejecting her feels significantly harder, even though he's well aware that Leigh values honesty over pity.

"But the thing is, the new writer's really hitting it off with our audience. She's had a string of articles go viral lately."

Leigh doesn't look at all impressed by that. "Yeah, I heard."

Personally, Drew's not a fan of the new writer's style, and honestly, he still prefers Leigh. It would just be a hard sell if he brought this up to management. As the saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"Look, I still think you have a unique voice. You know I'd still take advice from you over the new girl."

Leigh scoffs a little at that, shaking her head. Drew rolls his eyes; it's typical of Leigh to never know how to take a compliment. He continues, "How would you feel about guest writing? Maybe for the first couple of weeks, we could find a way to incorporate your insights into a series or a special feature."

It's not what she hoped for, but she recognizes the olive branch for what it is.

And she'll take it.

"I... yeah, I think that could work, Drew. I've got a ton of new ideas, and this... this could be great," Leigh says. "Uhm, thanks."

Drew grins. "I thought you'd like that. Let's kick off with a couple of guest pieces, see how it goes."

Leigh half-heartedly returns his enthusiasm just as her order of cheeseburger and affogato are served.

"Anything new with you?" Drew asks, his voice taking on that tone he reserves for the really good gossip. Knowing Drew's helping her out, Leigh figures a little life update wouldn't hurt as a form of thanks.