Chapter 11

You've never looked at Leigh this way before.

Not even when she confronted you months ago, a formidable presence with a devastating revelation that shattered what you thought was a straightforward affair with a single man. Not even when she accused you of lying, or when she consistently made things difficult for you.

Now, you look at her as if she's an entirely different person. And from the way you fall back, it's obvious you don't particularly like what you see. Leigh hadn't realized just how painful it could be to be looked at in such a way. With each of your steps, panic swells inside her. Though you're only a few feet away, it feels as if you've drifted oceans apart. She can't reach you, and the growing distance makes her fear she never will.

"What did you say?" you repeat slowly, each syllable dropping like a stone—deliberate and heavy.

Your eyes, hard and cold, fix on her. It's an unsettling sight; she'd almost prefer your anger. Anger, at least, is a familiar adversary, a clear-cut emotion she has long helmed and appeased within herself. She understands anger, knows how to quell it, how to unravel it into something resembling forgiveness or at least a truce. But this wounded belief—she doesn't know what to do with it. It doesn't want loud arguments or quick fixes. Instead, it seems to demand something she finds far harder to give: an explanation of motives she's not sure she fully understands herself.

"Your eyes are... enthralling?" Leigh stammers out, her voice quivering slightly as she attempts some self-preservation. She regrets the words as soon as they slip out, sounding hollow and clumsy to her own ears.

You don't laugh, or even react much at all, except to say, "You know that's not what I'm talking about."

Leigh's heart sinks a bit more. She winces, shaking her head, realizing the frivolous comment has fallen flat, doing nothing to undo the damage. In the end, she can't bring herself to say what she knows you want to hear.

"After all this time, how...? How do you know about that nickname?" you ask, maintaining a façade of indifference though you can feel the cracks forming.

"I work for the website," Leigh says, her eyes dropping to the floor when she hears you take in a sharp breath. "I used to run the advice column there. But when Matt died, I couldn't handle it anymore and I left." She stops for a moment, her gaze flickering back to you, searching for a reaction, but you remain silent, your expression unreadable.

"They brought me back recently, just as a contributor. I wasn't sure how to tell you. It's part of how I'm trying to move on, getting back into writing, even though it feels different now," she adds somberly.

"So, did you just read my entries and figure out it was me from what I wrote?" you ask, your voice low and uncertain.

Leigh swallows dryly, steeling herself for what she has to say next. "Not only did I read your entries," she admits slowly, her voice a whisper of trepidation, "but I was the one replying to them."

After her confession, Leigh struggles to meet your eyes. Her ears are filled with the loud rush of her heartbeat, thumping wildly as the seconds tick by without a word from you. Time seems suspended, and when you don't speak, move, or give any indication of your thoughts, dread begins to creep into the edges of her mind.

"I was going to tell you," Leigh murmurs, the words barely escaping her lips. Your arms cross over your chest, sealing yourself off even more. She feels you slipping further away, when just moments earlier, you had been kissing the life out of her, as if trying to breathe her in.

This can't be happening, Leigh thinks. It just can't.

"When?" you scoff. "When you're... what? Done with your revenge?"