Chapter 3

Leigh is ten minutes late.

It makes sense. Her willingness to attend this meeting was surprising, because if you were in her shoes, you doubt you'd have agreed to it. Listening to the entire history of a relationship can be exhausting, and it's hard to imagine what it feels like to hear about one that arguably should never have existed.

But just as you're about to think she's bailed or intentionally left you hanging, you spot her sprinting toward the cafe from across the street. She's a mess—hair soaked and sticking everywhere, face bare, missing its usual touch of makeup. But even like this, Leigh doesn't look much different from her usual self. You can't help feeling a bit envious of that.

She rushes into the cafe, attracting a few curious looks, but she barely registers them, her wide green eyes quickly finding you.

"Sorry I'm late," she pants, struggling to catch her breath, "I got caught in the rain and then missed my bus." The lie slips out effortlessly. True, it had rained, but the real reason was far more personal—something you didn't need to know.

You shrug off her apology with a smile, signaling the waiter for a menu for Leigh. "No worries, I'm just glad you made it," you say.

Leigh gives you a quick once-over, then forces a smile and thanks you. Once her coffee order's in, she gets right down to it. "So, Matt," she starts, her voice dropping to a whisper, "how did you two meet?"

You lean back, carefully thinking about what to say next. You didn't practice your answers ahead of time because you weren't planning to lie about anything. But you're wary of how you word things, not wanting to upset her. Being caught up with a married man is embarrassing enough as it is, and having to relay the details to his widowed wife only adds to it.

"Actually, our first meeting was totally by chance," you say, bringing your steaming cup of tea to your lips. "I quite literally bumped into Matt one day. It was so brief, I barely gave it a second thought."

You take a deep breath before continuing, "Then, about a week later, Matt showed up at my clinic with the same friend from before. It turned out, they were there for his friend's dog, who needed a check-up. Matt was just tagging along, helping out."

Leigh's face remains passive, making it hard to read.

"The friend was the one who interacted with me the most that day. He even asked for my number, saying they were grateful for the help with the dog. I assumed he was interested," you say, the memory coming back to you clearer now as you speak. "But, to my surprise, it was Matt who texted me later, not his friend."

You barely manage to suppress the slight twitch of your lips, recalling how everything once seemed magical to you. Leigh on the other hand, takes a slow sip of her coffee, buying a moment to process.

"Who was that friend of Matt's? Do you remember his name?" she asks.

You pause, racking your brain for the detail, feeling its importance to Leigh. "Yeah, I think his name was Nick or something," you say, scratching your head. Whether the name 'Nick' rings any bells for her or not, she doesn't let on.

"Strange," you mumble under your breath, but then shrug it off. "It doesn't really matter, he's not the one I—" You stop yourself just in time, realizing you're about to say something potentially hurtful about a situation that still feels raw, especially to Leigh.

Instead, you quickly pivot. "Anyway, that's how it all started. On the day of the dog's follow-up, it was just Matt who came by. We struck up a friendship from there, and one thing led to another until he, uhm, asked me out for dinner."

At this, you notice a subtle change in Leigh's demeanor. Her entire frame becomes more timid, the first real sign of emotion she's shown since this conversation began.