Chapter 19 - Paige's POV

When Kazzi spun on her heel and ran, Paige knew she fucked up. She wasn't big enough of a person to admit it was entirely her fault, so she'll man up and say it was partially her fault.

She wasn't sure how the night would go down once she figured out Kazzi's "secret", but she didn't expect the girl to so steadfastly deny it. It hurt – just a little bit.

Paige tried to keep her demeanor friendly, un-threatening, even a little flirty at first to try and converse with Kazzi. However, the other didn't even look at her, eyes roaming and landing anywhere but Paige. The blonde was confused – they like each other, why was Kazzi so avoidant? Why can't they just start dating?

Paige's irritation started rising when Kazzi used every excuse imaginable to not talk to her, the toilet, her stupid fork, even going as far to interrupt Azzi and Lili's date. It was frustrating, and all Paige wanted to do was talk.

She snapped when Kazzi literally locked eyes with her and then proceeded to try and go to the bathroom. Her annoyance made her reach out and grab Kazzi's wrist, the other finally looking back and speaking to her for the first time that night.

It was painful, listening to Kazzi deny everything. Like the girl's twitter page – evidence of her pining – didn't exist, like the connection they shared didn't exist, like it was all in Paige's head and nothing existed. She hated it, hated the way Kazzi refused to show the slightest vulnerability.

She yearned to pull the girl in, kiss her, and tell her that Paige wants her just as much, if not more. She wanted Kazzi to be unashamed of her love, and wanted Kazzi to admit it so Paige could finally spoil her with everything she could ever want.

She lost her chance when Kazzi left, taking Paige's heart with her. It was jarring, maybe because she didn't expect it, but she could only watch in shock as the girl bolted away. Azzi and Lili shouted in surprise, turning back to stare at Paige in bewilderment. She felt hollow, only jolting back when Azzi and Lili started rapid-firing questions at her.

The blonde didn't (couldn't) answer, immediately scrambling after Kazzi once she realized the situation. She was in shambles, flinging open the door and jerking her head left and right, trying to spot Kazzi. When Paige couldn't see her, panic filled her being, causing her legs to run in a random direction. Hoping – praying she bumps into Kazzi.

She ran for a while, her feet starting to ache and lungs burning from exhaustion. She didn't want to give up, though, she still believed everything could be solved with a simple conversation. All she needed was five minutes with Kazzi.

As Paige rounded a corner, she immediately froze, blood running cold as her eyes widened at the scene across the street from her. She didn't want to believe it, but she could recognise Kazzi's silhouette anywhere, from the top of her head to the tips of toes. Paige knew it was her.

Paige knew it was her, cradled delicately in the arms of Caitlin Clark. Her heart stuttered, breath caught in her throat. Everything within her screamed at her to rush over and rip Kazzi away, but her feet stayed planted, forcing her to watch the events unfold.

Caitlin lightly tucked Kazzi's hair behind her ear, face full of adoration as she murmured something. Kazzi's shoulders shook– probably laughing at whatever Caitlin said, and Paige ached.

Despite knowing that observing them was a train wreck waiting to happen, Paige couldn't pull her eyes away. She'd never seen Kazzi so soft, so willingly open, and she hated that she wasn't the one Kazzi looked at with such trust. Clark didn't deserve to see her like this, and Paige's throat constricted, body trembling with the effort to just do something.

Kazzi's head dipped, falling onto Caitlin's shoulder as the brunette patted her head. Paige couldn't take it anymore, envy and jealousy rearing its ugly head and finally making her tear her eyes away. Her breaths came in short – labored – as she staggered in the direction that she came from. Try as she might, but she can't erase the image of Kazzi in Caitlin's arms.

She noted – with despair – that they look good together.