Better safe than sorry

Next day I got up early and surprisingly wasn't that tired anymore so I decided to get out of bed and make breakfast. I looked over at JJ still sleeping and smiled. I carefully moved her arm from my waist and put my pillow under it.

I went over to the kitchen and I saw Emily already drinking her coffee on the couch. I looked at her and shook my head. I searched the fridge and decided on blueberry pancakes.

"Did you go to sleep at all last night?" I asked Emily while preparing to cook.

"Yeah. I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I decided, coffee it is," she said.

"Did you at least make some for me too?" I asked.

"Yeah, there's some in the pot still," she said.

"Thanks," I said and continued to make the breakfast.

When I finished, I poured some coffee for JJ and myself. I gave Emily a couple of pancakes and took the rest upstairs. I walked in the room and JJ was already up.

"Hey," I smiled, "Sleep good?"

"Yeah, the last few hours were fine," she said with a smile.

"Good. I made breakfast," I smiled.

Her smile faded a little, "For me?"

"Yeah, for us," I said, "And Emily too, she's in the living room if you wanna eat together."

"Why?" She asked.

I was confused. She looked stressed. I couldn't tell if it was just because of the bad night or if it was something else, she looked almost scared even.

"Are you asking me about the concept of breakfast itself or why I made it for you specifically?" I asked.

"Why you made it for me," she said.

"Well, because I wanted to. Thought it'd be nice. Do you not like pancakes?" I asked, "They're blueberry, you like blueberries."

"So you didn't do anything? Or do you want me to do something?" She asked.

Now I know what this was about. That girl she was dating really must've been something. At this point she's lucky she's never met me.

"I just wanted to do something nice for you. You had a bad night so you deserve a good day, but I think I might make it a habit from now on," I smiled, "So we'll eat and then we're just gonna chill today."

She smiled, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," I smiled handing her the plate with pancakes.

She took a bite, "Oh god, these are good."

"Of course they are. I'm an amazing cook," I said proudly taking a bite of my own looking at her with a smile.

"You gonna sit with me or are you just gonna stand there?" She asked.

"Oh yeah," I said and sat beside her turning the tv on, "What are we watching?"

"Reality about dating?" She asked.

"It's like you read my mind," I said taking a bite and putting the reality show on.

We spend the whole day like this. I intentionally wanted this day to be soft so she could relax. And honestly I it was a much needed type of day for me too.

I think I'm starting to change her view on certain aspects and I'm really glad. I'm trying to replace any negative memories with good ones. We don't really talk about it, but we don't have to. I just show her and we know.

With every thing she gets triggered, self conscious, or stressed by I just show her that it's not the case this time. It takes time to rewire your brain, after it taught itself to be alarmed by certain things and send you signals about a possible red light, but we're getting there. And it's a great sight to see.