Chapter 5

New point of view!

Sleeping in the Dreamyard isn't fun. I've done it for a few years now, and I'm essentially sans abri. Or homeless.  A hobo. Whatever you prefer.

I open my eyes one cold morning underneath an overhang, wrapped up in a sleeping bag and feeling froid and just freezing.

The sun is up and shining in my eyes though, so I should get up... I sit up and sigh at my surroundings.

This is where I, Burgundy, reside. In a corner of the Dreamyard that no one ever visits, with a stack of cardboard boxes, a few pairs of clothes, a sleeping bag and a few tattered Pokémon plushies, along with a few pizza boxes heaped in the corner. It's absolutely pathétique.

I get up, shuffling over to a small pile of toiletries in a small bag in the corner to brush my hair out. I may be homeless, but a connoisseuse such as myself simply cannot look dégoûtant.

I check my reflection in some glass, making sure I look nothing short of fabuleux. I don't. I look awful... I need a coupe de cheveux, or a haircut.

I take both of my Pokeballs and throw them.

"Sawsbuck! Dewott! Il est temps de briller!" I call out as I throw their Pokeballs.

My two précieux Pokémon both emerge, Dewott, with a perfect scent reminiscent of care and love, and Sawsbuck, with a scent that's currently imparfait, but I'm working towards making it strong.

"Bonjour, my Pokémon! How are you on this crisp morning? Hungry?" I greet them.

Dewott nods frantically. Sawsbuck does the same.

"How about some Wiki Berries? They taste incroyable!"

I'm making myself hungry...

Dewott and Sawsbuck seem pretty happy about it, though. I pick up a bag of berries I bought from the market, before picking a few out and holding them out in my hand.

"Here you go." I say. Dewott takes its share and Sawsbuck just eats the rest from my hand.

I ate yesterday - my stomach is begging for food but that's all I could afford for today. I could go steal some food scraps from behind the gym, but... I don't go near that wretched place.

You see... I became acquainted with the concept of death at a rather young age.

It was my 8th birthday. My parents had moved from Kalos the year before, and I had been given an Oshawott the previous year.

The weather was pleasantly sunny. A breeze blew through the area and autumn leaves swirled around my feet. I was wearing a pale pink dress I had gotten for my birthday - and in Striation City, walking down a road, with my hand in my mother's hand.

"Burgundy~?" My mother said in her usual cheer.

"Yeah, mama?" I replied up to her.

"Maybe we could go get Oshawott evaluated by a Pokémon Connoisseur for your birthday!"

"Really?!"

"It is your birthday."

"Thank you, mama! Thank you!" I said cheerily, jumping up and down.

My father gestures to the gym. "I hear the gym leader is an A class. Maybe we should head in there?"

"Sounds good." My mother agrees. And so we waltzed right up to that wretched place and opened the doors, we asked for the A class connoisseur, and we got one indeed.