Chapter 1: A Strong Soul

Leaf strolled along the sidewalk while thinking about her long-awaited vacation after her arduous training. She is now in a bustling street, where the sun hangs low in the sky and casts long shadows across the street. She was still in the planning stage of her vacation even though her vacation started yesterday.

As Leaf rounded a corner, her attention was suddenly captured by a loud noise. Her mind was still thinking about where to go and how long her vacation would be as she glanced up to see a massive truck hurtling toward her. Her instinct kicked in and subconsciously ducked to the side. Leaf dove to the side while narrowly avoiding the truck's path by mere inches.

She was relieved she didn't get any dirt on her newly-paid clothes. But her relief was short-lived as the truck was not the only one on the road. Because of the first truck that almost pulverized Leaf, the truck following behind swirled out of course, and by the luck of having none, all trucks hit Leaf's spot one after the other. Then, with a sickening crunch, the second truck collided with Leaf, sending her sprawling across the pavement. Pain exploded through her body as darkness descended like a shroud.

It was so surreal that it seemed the world was out to get her.

For an unknown amount of time, Leaf felt like all the pain she was feeling left her and now floating on clouds feeling refreshed. But then, like a marionette pulled by invisible strings, she felt herself being drawn toward a swirling vortex of darkness.

A black hole appeared in front of her, its gravitational pull was too strong and it pulled her closer without pause. Leaf's mind reeled with confusion as she was being stuffed into the abyss. The world around her dissolving from nothingness into another.

And then, just as suddenly as it started, the feeling was gone. Leaf found herself floating in a void of whiteness, still confused, with no sense of up or down, left or right.

It was at this moment that a voice echoed through the emptiness, sending shivers down anyone's spine who listens to it.

"Binding 100% complete. Congratulations, host," the voice intoned, its tone cold and mechanical. "I am System Zero, at your service."

Leaf's mind raced as she tried to make sense of the cold voice.

[Where is this? How did I get here? System Zero? What did it want from her? And why was it addressing her as its host?]

Before she could voice her questions, System Zero continued, its words dripping with certainty.

"You are now bound to me at the soul level due to your strong soul," it declared. "As a host, your purpose is clear: enter Book Worlds, complete tasks, and by doing so earn points. With enough points, the host can have one wish. Only then will you return to your world before the accident."

Leaf's head spun with amusement.

[Mission Worlds? Points? What was this system talking about? And what did it mean by "returning to her world before the accident"?]

As soon as she finished thinking, her memory of the current event before regaining consciousness hit her like a bulldozer.

[Oh right. It looks like my body kicked the bucket after that second truck hit me.]

System Zero issued a chilling warning.

"Failure to complete your assigned tasks will result in the death penalty," it stated matter-of-factly, its voice devoid of emotion.

"Not a simple death, but the obliteration of your soul. You will feel pain unimaginable to the human's comprehension", it added.

Leaf's blood ran cold at the thought.

[Death penalty? Obliteration of the soul? What kind of twisted game was this?]

As if sensing her disbelief, System Zero pressed on, its tone still cold.

"You must enter the Mission Worlds, inhabit the body of a character, and act according to the given script," it explained. "Any deviation from the script will result in negative points. And if you accumulate enough negative points, your soul will be obliterated."

Leaf still has her amused face on while her mind turns its gears. She understands that just like in those light novels she reads, she is currently abducted by a being called system. Bounded forcefully and forced to do their bidding.

[It looks like my luck has hit rock bottom. I encountered an ominous God system servant instead of those cute and fun ones.]

As the system observes its host letting her situation sink in, in its eyes Leaf appears like a trapped powerless mouse that does not have any other choice than to follow orders.

Ignoring the System's presence, Leaf attempted to explore her surroundings, only to find herself trapped in an endless expanse of white.

"Don't bother exploring," Zero interjected, its voice echoing through the empty space. "Though it may appear as though you're in an endless white void, in reality, you're confined to a room no larger than a single bedroom, endlessly looping around its boundaries."

Taking a deep breath, she squared her shoulders and steeled herself for the unknown that she would face ahead. With System Zero as her warder much less a guide,

This is at least what Leaf looks like in the eyes of Zero. If he ever has eyes.