Chapter 14: The Sacrifice

"Sir, the guy we are looking for disappeared"

"What do you mean disappeared." An angered Zhao Bolin shouted at the phone.

"Sir, disappeared like he never existed"

+++++

The next day, the third day after Li Mei's accident, a knock was heard by Li Mei and Wang Haoran, who had just finished getting ready for the day. It was almost nine in the morning, and Aunt Hi was preparing breakfast.

"Boss, it's me," Zhao Bolin spoke from the other side of the door.

"Come in," a refreshed Li Mei quickly answered.

"Bolin, we're like family, why do you have to knock?"

While entering the room, Zhao Bolin heard Li Mei's voice again. He glanced at Wang Haoran, who nodded at him, a silent agreement to Li Mei's words. Zhao Bolin nodded back and faced Li Mei.

"Good morning, big sister Mei. I will remember what you said next time," a perky Zhao Bolin replied.

"Good morning to you too," a smiling and bright-eyed Li Mei seemed to be in a better mood, which affected the mood of everyone in the room.

Clap!

"Alright, everyone, settle down and let's eat breakfast," Aunt Hi, who had finished setting up breakfast, called everyone's attention. She was treated like the mother of the three rather than a trusted housekeeper.

Everyone sat down and started eating.

After a hearty meal, Aunt Hi stayed with Li Mei while the doctor and nurses were checking her. Wang Haoran, on the other hand, was followed by Zhao Bolin to the other room to discuss the upcoming issues.

In the room next door...

Zhao Bolin sat across from Wang Haoran, who was already looking at his laptop. "Boss," Zhao Bolin initiated the conversation.

"We are going to start the last phase of the plan," Wang Haoran replied without looking up.

With a serious face, Zhao Bolin listened intently, observing the menacing expression on Wang Haoran.

Zhao Bolin suddenly remembered what Wang Haoran had said the night before. He was going to marry Li Mei in one month. With wide eyes, Zhao Bolin stammered, "Boss, you mean—"

"You have fifteen days to finish all preparations and fifteen days to execute everything," Wang Haoran cut Zhao Bolin off.

"But we don't have enough money and resources to do everything in just one month," Zhao Bolin said with a questioning look. They may have been gathering strength since they were abroad, but that was a drop in the bucket compared to what they needed. They finally increased their momentum this year when Wang Haoran started managing the company he inherited one year ago with the help of Liu Leah, but it's still not enough.

Ring—

Zhao Bolin answered the phone. After listening to the other side, he cursed. "F*ck."

He ended the call and faced his boss. "The guy who stole the security footage is gone. All traces of him were erased. Bu Jinnan said he still sent people to listen and look for any news, but it might end in a dead end."

Ring—

"What?!" Zhao Bolin answered his phone again. Wang Haoran asked him to put all calls on speaker for now.

"Sir, the Lius canceled half of the collaboration Liu Leah vouched for. They are currently putting pressure on us in the market," a trembling voice said on the other side of the phone.

"Alright, keep pushing back. I will talk to Liu Leah to see if we can take it back," Wang Haoran ordered.

"Ye- Yes sir," the phone was cut off by Wang Haoran immediately.

Wang Haoran locked up and covered his eyes. "I'm so tired," he thought. "Bolin, Mei is two months pregnant. By next month she will not be able to hide the baby bump. I don't want the child to come out and be labeled as illegitimate," Wang Haoran talked softly as if pleading for help from his trusted brother.

"I understand, I really do, but we are in modern times, and babies born out of wedlock still receive the same benefits as those born to married parents," Zhao Bolin tried to encourage him not to rush things.

"Mei made me promise last night to marry her no matter what next month. She is already preparing for the wedding. She will stop working in the company for now and be guarded twenty-four-seven until the wedding. Bolin, she looked so happy while telling me about her dream wedding last night." With tired eyes, Wang Haoran started tearing up. His eyes are still hidden by his hands.

Wang Haoran wiped his eyes and looked at Zhao Bolin like nothing happened. "You know my half-brothers will do everything to make me lose focus, even my life. Don't worry, we are all safe because they are afraid of Liu Leah. We will use everything, Liu Leah included.", with eyes turning mad, he told Zhao Bolin.

A hint of killing intent leaked from Wang Haoran's body when he uttered Liu Leah's name.

Wang Haoran was grateful to Liu Leah before his reunion with Li Mei. At first, he viewed Liu Leah as a business partner rather than a fiance. He saw how powerful she was, not because she was the one and only daughter of the Lius but because she was diligent in everything she did and made wise decisions in every business deal she made. She was intelligent enough to handle half of the Liu conglomerate by herself at a young age.

He sometimes wonders how his father convinced her to agree to their engagement. He was aware that with Liu Leah's status and capabilities, she could have someone better than him.

Wang Haoran could even say that the company he currently owns rose in market value multiple times in just this one year with the help of Liu Leah. He and everyone around him were safe because of Wang Haoran's efforts, but she patched the cracks he missed. Liu Leah gave him everything he wanted to give to Li Mei.

Neutrality turned to gratefulness.

Gratefulness turned to friendship.

"If you really want to thank me, then say 'I Love You' back," a beautiful woman said jokingly while narrowing her eyes mirthfully at Wang Haoran.

"Come on, say 'I Love You' after I say I love you," she uttered again, giggling.

...

...

...

Wang Haoran's life was at peace with Liu Leah around, even with hidden danger lurking.

Everything changed two months ago. Li Mei showed up and rekindled his longing. Even Liu Leah changed overnight as if she were a different person altogether.

Beeeeep—

Wang Haoran opened his eyes. He was currently taking a nap next to Li Mei's hospital room. After finalizing the plan for the final phase, he lay down on the couch and might have dozed off without realizing it.

Zhao Bolin, on the other hand, went to check on Liu Leah. If possible, convince her to follow their plan. Everyone knows, including him, that Liu Leah will do anything for Wang Haoran.

He got up and turned off his phone alarm.

He had just had a dream about the past. Wang Haoran forcefully tried to forget the memory of Liu Leah that was trying to resurface. He decided that to achieve his goals, he had to sacrifice Liu Leah.

Liu Leah might have changed two months ago, but that change worked well for their plan.

On the main entrance of the eighteenth-floor private hospital where Liu Leah was recuperating...

"Go back and do not come again until the Lius contact you. These are Liu Aiden's words," a towering Zed said indifferently to Zhao Bolin before going back inside and closing the main door. Four additional guards blocked the doors with their bodies after they were shut.