My sweetheart back home (last part)

To my sweetheart back home,

We made it into stalingrad without anyone dying. We're finally here, I came here to see you. It was the happiest moment of my life when i finally resched the cuty I had to fight off what seemed like hundred of soldiers just to get here. I went through moscow, losing all my friends, being absndond in the russian wilderness

. I went through all those places we visited, the park, those days we spent sitting at the port, talking to eachother while sitting on the dock. When you 'won' that game of cards. The movies we saw. Even that time we got to play football, all those amazing times we had together.

Going down the now war-torn streets, I remember seeing the spot where we first met, and Kira's canteen. You were waiting tables there. I remember that day vividly, you took my breath away with your beauty. I'd never seen a girl like you before. That was the first time I'd truly felt love, Marinshuka.

Then I passed by your parents apartment, I remember the day I met them with you. Your father was so skeptical of me. He mistrusted me a lot. I still don't know what he meant by too "american-y", but we still managed. All of these times were good.

I have what i meant to give long ago in my pocket. I have an emerald necklace for you, to marry you. It's from the ural mines, cut in briolle fashion, just how you always said you wanted. I meant to give it to you months ago, before the war tore us apart.

Along the path, I found a purple hankerchief, which reminded me of our first date. Did i ever tell you that was my dad's suit? I was trying so eagerly to impress you. I was so terrible at acting fancy, looking back on it, I was too clumsy for that.

I'm suprised that the apartment building was still intact. I remember moving here, we were only 19 back then. We didn't even know how to design it. We both made it perfectly imperfect though.

However, I saw the apartment, bullet holes inthe walls. Even worse, a broken crib, you should have told me I'd be a father. I would've tried to get to you sooner Marinshuka, I can only conclude you and the child are dead. Killed by the war machine as i soon will be.

I'll miss you oh so dearly,

Alexei