𝐚 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞

𝔽 𝔸 𝕐 𝔼

Even though Faye tried to keep herself occupied with homework on the train ride to Professor Kirke's, she couldn't stop her mind from rambling. She was relieved when she finally arrived at the station, however, her relief quickly turned into confusion. This tiny, rotten wood platform was a train station? The tiny rectangle was surrounded by rolling hills and a dirt path that wound through the grass. Before she could change her mind and board the train again, it blew its horn and chugged slowly away, leaving Faye utterly alone in the countryside.

After a few minutes of looking around, she sat down on the edge of the platform and took out her book. A few chapters later, she heard hooves clopping down the dirt path and stood up to investigate. An slim old lady was sitting ramrod straight on a wagon pulled by a single brown horse. When it reached her, Faye took a deep breath and quietly said, "Good afternoon! Are you here to take me to Professor Kirke?" The lady scoffed. "Yes, girl. My name is Mrs. Macready and I am his housekeeper. He's waiting for you, so you better not dilly-dally." Well she seems happy to see me, Faye thought sarcastically. Now was probably not the best time for sarcastic comments though, so Faye simply said "Yes ma'am," she and climbed up into the wagon. It was long, uncomfortable ride due to Faye's shyness and Mrs. Macready's rudeness, and to the girl's relief, they arrived within ten minutes of leaving the station.

Built out of brick, Professor Kirke's mansion was three stories tall standing behind a yawning front lawn and tall, majestic trees. Ornate decorations hung over each of the windows, giving the manor a distinguished air. The housekeeper turned to Faye, interrupting her thoughts. "Now, there are a few rules I need you to know," she said. "First, there is no touching of the historical artifacts whatsoever. If you break anything, you'll have to answer to me. And second, there will be no running or horseplay in the halls. Understood?" 

"Yes, Mrs. Macready." 

"Good." The woman stopped in front of the open doors, and turned. "Your room is upstairs, down the hall, and to the left. I'll be inside shortly as I still need to tie up the horses. Go on, then!" Faye quickly obeyed.

🕮

The interior of the mansion was as impressive as the exterior. Sunlight shined on the expensive-looking historical artifacts standing atop their pedestals and reflected off the glossy marble floor. A little to her right, a polished wood staircase curved upwards. She assumed that she was supposed to go that way. Each step she took echoed throughout the empty hallways, as if they were waiting for some sort of response. Faye opened the door to what she assumed to be her guest room and began unpacking her things. It was relatively small, but comfortable. The walls were covered in a pastel green floral wallpaper, and the cozy bed in the corner was neatly made with white cotton sheets and a comforter that matched the walls. A white vanity sat opposite the bed, and a medium-sized dresser stood close to the door. After Faye had hung up her clothing in the tiny closet and organized her books (in color order) atop the dresser, she decided to explore.

Faye eventually found her way into the back gardens, where she wandered among the beautiful flowers for a long time. She found a sheltered arbor overgrown with roses, and sat inside it, taking the chance to breathe and calm her mind. Sunlight trickled through the leaves, birds chirped, and she finally relaxed for the first time since she had arrived. Ever since her mother died several years ago, she had been receiving terrifying nightmares. She would wake up in the middle of the night, a scream on her lips and hands shaking and sweaty. Faye would pace around her house with a candle in her hand, trying to calm herself down. In the morning however, she would never remember these dreams. To distract her mind, Faye loved to read stories that whisked her away from the real world, allowing her imagination to run wild and free. Sometimes, she imagined that she was a brave warrior queen of a magical kingdom. Other times, she dreamed of handsome princes fighting for her hand in marriage.

She felt lonely, and the absence of her mother weighed heavy upon her shoulders. She tried to make her father's life easier in any way she could, knowing that he still grieved her mother and had to work a full-time job, while also taking care of her. Faye knew he was trying his best, but sometimes, he just got too busy to be with her. She believed that she was not enough, that everyone needed her to do more. Faye always tried, but sometimes it was too much. She would excuse herself and run to her room, burying her face in her pillow as her hands trembled.

A week or two passed, with Faye beginning to take lessons from the Professor and spending lots of time in the garden reading. She enjoyed his company all to herself, learning astrophysics and discussing great literature. That is, until the Pevensies arrived, and her life changed forever. 

A/N: I hope you all are enjoying the story so far! I know the first couple chapters are a bit slow, but that will definitely change as the story develops. If you have any suggestions please leave them in the comments! Also, I've created a soundtrack for this book below: 

1. The Rose Song - Olivia Rodrigo

2. Somewhere Only We Know - rhianne

3. A Thousand Years - Jasmine Thompson

4. Yellow - Kina Grannis

5. Someone You Loved - Lauren Spencer Smith

6. Dynasty - Miia

7. In the Name of Love - Martin Garrix and Bebe Rexha

8. Gilded Lily - Cults

9. Peter - Taylor Swift

10. Sad Beautiful Tragic (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift

11. Moral of the Story - Ashe

12. To Love Someone Else - Avery Lynch

13. I Won't Give Up - Jason Mraz

14. Always Remember Us This Way - Lauren Spencer Smith

15. Skyfall - Adele

16. Warriors - Imagine Dragons

17. End of Beginning - Sofia Mills

18. when the party's over - Billie Eilish

19. favorite crime - Olivia Rodrigo

20. Golden - Ruth B.

I'll probably keep editing the music choices as I write. Have a wonderful day, and thanks for reading!