Chapter- 6

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the Randawa house, the family sat in the backyard in the cozy little garden that Kavya had lovingly crafted. Since it was Sunday, Kabir always spent his Sundays with his kids, except for the evenings, as Sundays also meant bustling nights at Kabir's restaurant. The dinner rush kept him busy, often making him come home later than usual. By the time he returned, his little ones would be fast asleep.

Kabir looked at Kritika, who was twirling the coffee mug in her hands, a story to tell that she wants to discuss something but feeling nervous. He sighed and gave her the time, then looked down at his little Khola, who was settled on his lap and wrapped in his dreamland, hanging onto him.

"Aap subha puch rahe the na mujhe mere career choice ka?" Kritika finally said almost after 15 mins of silence.

Kabir nodded.

"I have decided but I am a bit confused Papa."

Kabir gave her a questioning look.

"Mujhe Hotel Management and Business Management dono karna hai...but...are you okay with it?" she asked hesitantly.

Kabir frowned, "Why will I have a problem with it?"

Kritika shook her head immediately, "I..I mean bas aise he."

"I hate lies, Kritika!"

Kritika looked away.

Kabir sighed and kept his hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze, "Kya hua Kriti? Kuch problem hai?"

Kritika looked back at him, "Vo..." she trailed off nervously though she knew it was just the absurd thought that was going on in her mind but still she was behaving like an idiot to feel hesitant.

"Kriti!"

Kritika took a deep breath and held his hand, "Do...don't get me wrong, dad. It's just kuch din pehle mein aur Payal park mein gaye the. Waha hume pass ke society ki kuch ladies mili. We were just talking when they casually came to talk to us...

"Aur beta, results aa gaye tumhare boards ke?" one of the ladies asked.

Payal shook her head while Kritika stood rigid, not wanting to have a conversation with the ladies, who were nothing but 'gossip aunties' of the area!

"Kab aayenge?"

Kritika almost glared at her, "Aapse mat..."

"Abhi next week aayenge," Payal said, interrupting her immediately. Their fathers hate disrespect, and she was least interested in getting into trouble with her father.

"Toh kuch socha hai kya karna hai aage ya bas aise he..." the other lady asked.

Kritika fisted her hand as Payal held her hand in a tight grip, stopping her from pouncing on the ladies.

"Nahi aunty, abhi tak kuch nahi socha hai. Jab kuch soch lenge toh pehle aapko hi batayenge." Payal said as sweetly as she could.

The lady chuckled, nodding her head, "Sahi bhi hai...ab ladki ho dono aur upar se single baap ki aulade... Zyada se zyada kya kar logi..."

"Sahi kaha aapne bhen ji." The other lady said, "Yahi pass me Mr. Mukherji hai na, unki beti ko business karna tha par.... Mukherji Bhai sabh ne toh saaf saaf mana kar diya. Unke hisab se jab ladki ko aage jaake shaadi hi karni hai toh business wagaira mai paise dalke kyu kharcha kare."

"Aur waise bhi aaj kal studies ka kitna saara kharch lagta hai...ek single parent kya kya kar lega, upar se beta bhi nahi, beti ke liye."

"Well, Rohan kaisa hai Mrs. Gupta...I mean Aunty Ji?" Kritika asked, interrupting the ladies' so-called important discussion.